1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Officer, Polish 12th Lancer Regiment, 1939

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by NickM, Sep 17, 2014.

1. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    G'day all, here's my latest figure. It's a Second Lieutenant (Podporucznik) of the Polish 12th Lancer 'Podolski' Regiment, just before the outbreak of WWII. I've converted him from Alpine Miniatures 120mm German Officer. The Rogatywka was converted from another Alpine head wearing an SS field cap.

I got the rough idea for this church scene from a movie. By August 1939 many Poles were already sensing war was imminent, so I’ve depicted this officer contemplating what the future has in store for himself and his young family (photo clutched behind his back).

He’s meant to be holding a still-smoking match, having just lit the votive candle beside him. A few mates who’ve seen this thought he was smoking though, so perhaps I should have altered the pose a bit. See what you think anyway.

As always, I'd love to hear your comments or advice for my next figure.

Cheers
    Nick

IMG_4000.JPG IMG_4017.JPG IMG_4021.JPG IMG_4023.JPG IMG_4026.JPG IMG_4029.JPG IMG_4031.JPG IMG_4034.JPG IMG_4039.JPG IMG_4050.jpg
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    absolutely stunning work all around.

Marc
    NickM likes this.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Beautiful photos Nick. A very well deserved Gold medal to you for winning the Large Scale Figures category at WASMEx last weekend mate.
    NickM likes this.
  4. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Lovely work. Really tells a story.

Peter.
    NickM likes this.
  5. colonnello kurz Active Member

Australia
    WoW.....owesome!!...littlebit satin the paint but is absolutely stunning
    NickM likes this.
  6. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks Marc, Peter and Colonnello Kurz, glad you like him.

Cheers Tony, it was a great weekend as always. Already looking forward to next year.
  7. Mark S Guest

As I've already said elsewhere, this is indeed a beautiful piece, Nick.....well done.
    NickM likes this.
  8. swralph A Fixture

Lovely work.
    NickM likes this.
  9. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Refreshing change from the 'usual suspects'; original and very well presented, congratulations!
    NickM and Mark S like this.
  10. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work indeed keep it up .

Ian
    NickM likes this.
  11. Rauko Din Member

Spain
    Great work. I agree with bootneck it tells a story.
    It's a curious irony, that I like especially, you use germans figures to transform

Cheers
    Fer.
    NickM likes this.
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I see no problem on seeing him lighting the candle. Great storytelling and execution Nick.

Colin
    NickM and housecarl like this.
  13. caramba Well-Known Member

Poland
    stunning work!
    NickM likes this.
  14. jositomanito Active Member

United-States
    Great work !!!
    Amazing painting job !!!
    NickM likes this.
  15. Ferris A Fixture

Very original idea and well implemented Nick. The smoke is very convincing.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    NickM likes this.
  16. Paster03 Active Member

Poland
    Beautiful paintwork, very clean and simple. I love the story You tell us here and atmosphere of it. I also like it, because I don't see many "Polish figures", and I'm from Poland. Appreciate You made this one.
    Smoke looks great, how did You make it? I'm asking, because my last bust has cigarette ;)
    NickM likes this.
  17. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks again, Mark, glad you like him mate.

Thanks also swralph, Piet, Ian, Fernando, Colin , Marcin, Jose, Adrian and Patryk for taking a look and commenting. Cheers guys
  18. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks Patryk, my two favourite subjects are Polish and Australian figures. I'm from Australia, but my wife is from the North-West of Poland (Gryfice) and I love Poland's culture and history. We still manage to travel there every couple of years, but it's a long haul from down here!

I got the idea for the smoke from a mate Ben Flood (FigureLover on PF). I glued a wisp of cotton-wool to the match. The super glue gets drawn up the cotton slightly and while that was happening, I shaped it with a toothpick. I also sprayed it with some Matt Coat to help it keep it's shape.

I saw your last bust, it was very nicely painted! (y)
  19. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Super nice Nick. Good atmosphere.
    NickM likes this.
  20. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Great work. It is full of fine details, the fabric of the table, the decoration of the wall etc. You have caught the idea with the pose and his thoughfull gesture while smoking. The smoke is very real.
    It´s a very good work all over.

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
    NickM likes this.