1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Officer of the Navy Guard

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Continuing on from my last 54mm Napoleonic (Pegaso's Polish Lancer), I decided to work on Romeo's Officer of the Navy Guard - Naple's Kingdom. While I was happy with how the Lancer turned out, the blue on his coat was too light from a historical accuracy standpoint. So I wanted to have another go at a dark blue uniform. I also just like this figure. I think he's got a great haughty pose perfect for a Napoleonic officer.

So far I have focused on the figure's head and his pants. I'm waiting for some new paints before I really try to tackle his coat. I've just started sketching out some of the red and yellow details. ChaosCossack and a few others shared some paint mixes for the dark blue coat, so hopefully I'll be able to get a nice dark blue while still having some decent highlights and shadows so it doesn't look too flat.
    [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
  2. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
  3. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Looking so far! Going to follow closely.
    I'm sure it will look great in the end ;)

Regards
    Pedro
  4. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    Good work, nice start on nice figure.
    Only a small point the red has to be amaranth a little darkish color.

Cannot be the classic bright red
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Awesome start on a great figure.
    Looking forward to your next step.

marc
  6. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    very clean work,like too much
  7. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Great start!...i am sure you will do great on the dark blue.
    the figure has a great pose and character.
    best regards
  8. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    He's looking superb already, David. I love the flesh tones you've used, they're spot on.
    The uniform is painted very well too. He's going to be another beauty.
    Cheers
  9. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, everyone. Glad you're liking it so far. Ivopreda, thank you for the information. I redid the red, hopefully this time it's closer to what it should be.

I finally worked up the courage to paint his coat. I've had issues with dark blue in the past (see my polish lancer), my highlights kept turning dark blue into medium blue. So, taking the advice of a few planet figure people, this time I tried using a medium grey mixed with the dark blue to highlight. I think the end result is much closer to what I was going for. I'll definitely be using that mix again. I'm still working on all the lace and other details. I'm happy with the back but the lace in front still needs a little more work. He's getting close.... though all those little details seem to take longer than one would think. Thanks for taking a look.
    [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    Aveleira, yoshi, Tonton and 6 others like this.
  10. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looking good Sir
  11. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Awesome work so far! Looking forward to see the finished mini! Great job!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  12. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    Great painting, the amaranth looks much better and give to the figure a more Neapolitan appearance.
    Very well done
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Sharp uniform;sharp model.

Colin
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Very nicely done so far. The small adjustment on the red makes a huge difference and your blue looks fantastic. As always, your work on the face is excellent.

Following closely... Hopefully this one stays undamaged when it comes out in public;) Avoid the drunkards!

Colin
  15. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, everyone. Ivopreda, I appreciate the color help. I haven't found many references on the Kingdom of Naples uniforms so I've relied a lot on the box art (which is scarlet). Nice to catch it in the early stages where it's much easier to make changes. Actually I've got another uniform question for you (or anyone who knows the answer). The box art has the braid/tassel on his shako as a darker shade than the lace and braid on the uniform. The one on the shako looks more like a bronze. Here's the reference. Is that correct or should it match the rest of the uniform?

Colin, your tip to mix grey into the blue was a huge help. Thanks again for that!
  16. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Looks great so far!!! I like your painting ;)

Regards
    Pedro
  17. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy

hi Bailey,

I'm late for the answer... Marinai della GUARDIA REALE.JPG

here you can seethe original document used to make the figure, the braid and tassels are in gold tissue as for the decoration on the uniform. Only the shako plaque is metallic as the gorget.

don't pay attention to the Amaranth of the picture, your is also very good
    Bailey likes this.
  18. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks! That's exactly what I needed. Much appreciated!
  19. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Had a few things come up so I've had limited painting time this past month. But I was finally able to pick up a brush again and do some work on this figure. Here's a quick update:
    [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

Still working on details but not too much left. I'd like to bring this figure to the Long Island show in a little over a week, so hopefully I can finish him up this weekend.
  20. Edward A Fixture

England
    Looking great!