1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Officer of the Guide

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you. Colin, I just took a look at the realism discussion, very interesting conversation. David, thanks. You're right, the lighting would be quite bright. It's a bit tough with these colors. I want to keep the green a dark hue and highlighting red is tricky. I may try to push the red a bit, but I'm sure when I add in the lace that will help brighten up the figure. I've held off on finishing the pants as I keep handling the figure there and don't want to rub off the paint.
  2. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  3. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    I like how this is coming together

Frank
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    A great looking figure. The colours are superb
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    As usual, the face of this fig is super realistic... so well done. It's becoming your trademark.
    To my eyes, this is a great chasseur green... it's meant to be a very rich dark green/black. I like the use of the burgundy to adjust the green, that's what has given it such richness as opposed to darkening with black alone.... I dig it!
    For the gold lace, your best bet is to tap the mind of the other Colin (crf)... he seems to have it down pat.

I'll be following this one closely

Colin
    Bailey likes this.
  6. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Perfect work...just perfect.

Xenofon
  7. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good green , much truer than the box art ,been tempted with this one also (y)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. dfmoss Member

United-States
    Love the face - excellent work!
  9. sayeret Active Member

Fantastic work!!!
    I cannot wait to see it finished(y)

Roberto
  10. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    I have this one in my great grey army to do, so I am following your progress closely. I very much like your green. Which paints did you use?
  11. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Wow, that is beautiful work so far Bailey!

Absolutetly gorgeous.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  12. Bailey A Fixture

United-States

Thanks, it's a nice piece to work on. I hope you enjoy doing yours!

The green mix is something I worked out on a figure a few months back. The exact paints aren't critical, any similar colors should do. I use mostly reaper acrylics but for some reason the dark greens I have gave me a satin finish, so I used a dark green from Badger's Minitaire paint range instead. To give the green a darker look I mixed in some Burgundy Wine, a dark purple. The midtone was roughly 2 parts dark green to 1 part burgundy wine. For the shadows I used more burgundy wine and added a bit of black in the very darkest spots. For the highlights I avoided added any lighter greens as that would brighten the look too much. Instead I started to slowly add a medium-light grey, Rainy Grey, to the dark green and burgundy mix. This helped produce desaturated highlights which helped keep the overall dark green look.
    Green_Ex.jpg
    The burgundy wine paint looks almost black in that picture, but it is just a very deep purple. You can get a better idea from the pictures of the figure. The unfinished lower part of the plume is just burgundy wine over a white primer.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Great explanation of the colors , thanks for sharing and keep up the great work.
    Very interesting subject and figure.
    Regards
  14. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks much for the info on the green paint and thanks also for taking the time to repeat it for someone who scrolled right past your reply to Pan.
  15. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    That is some really nice brush work going on here (y)!

Thanks for including your green formula as well. That's very helpful.

Joe
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Interesting approach on the Chasseur green with great results. Now I'm going thru my GA looking for something to paint green ;)
    Usually I mix Flat Green, Black and a touch of English Uniform for the base, shade by adding Black and Highlight with Sunny Skintone.... but this seems to be more of a "fade" than a highlight :(

Dying to try this mix

Colin
    MarquisMini likes this.
  17. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    ahhhh, I knew ChaosCossack will pass by to take that recipee :LOL:
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    clrsgt, no problem! It gave me a chance to expand a bit on the description.

Colin, I'm glad you're inspired to give the mix a try. Next time I might add a touch of english uniform to the mix as well. Gotta keep experimenting!

I made a few touch ups to the uniform and face, then I tackled the lace details. I mixed the metallic paints with matte paints but I may have used a bit too much matte. I went with a roughly 1 to 1 ratio of metallic to matte, in retrospect I should have done closer to 3 to 1 metallic to matte. I'm working with the Scale75 metallics which are a bit thin to begin with. They're great for metals because they flow extremely well but the matte colors I mixed in overpowered them a bit.

OG06.jpg OG09.jpg OG10.jpg OG12.jpg
  19. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    You nail it on the lace!.
    Can you share you mix for the red?
  20. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks! For the red I used paints from Reaper. The midtone is violet red then shaded with burgundy wine. For the highlights I used Fire Red and for the top highlights were Fire Red with just a touch of Fair Skin.
    MarquisMini and ChaosCossack like this.