1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Officer of the Guide

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    I've been working on a lot of 54mm figures for the past year and a half but I recently had the urge to move to a slightly larger scale. I love working on 54's, but when it comes to in person display the bigger figures just have more impact. So this weekend I started painting this 75mm figure from Pegaso. The kit is of an Officer of the Guide from Napoleon's campaigns in Egypt. It's a nicely detailed figure and I remember seeing a well done version on PF about a year ago.

I'm pretty happy with how the green and red on his coat turned out. I'm not 100% on how to do the gold lace. My current plan is to use a mix of metallic and matte paints to get a semi-metallic finish. I haven't tried this approach before so it will take a bit of experimentation. Aside from the lace I don't see anything on this guy being too tricky, so hopefully this will be a fun and relatively quick project.

OG01b.jpg OG02.jpg OG03.jpg OG04.jpg OG05.jpg
  2. merlino Well-Known Member

Italy
    compliments!
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Well worth the time you are taking.
    Super work David.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  4. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    This is a beautiful piece of work,the green colours look brilliant as does the red and flesh,I can't wait to see this finished.
    Congratulations bailey
  5. pang New Member

I think the green colours look great,too.
    Let me know how...
    Thanks.
  6. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Absolutely stunning painting (y) I like his face and the flesh tones you've used in particular.
  7. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Bailey!!

I also have painted this figure! It's a nice one!
    You're on for a great work, the face looks great and so the green ;)

Regards
    Pedro
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I like what i've seen here. Amazing painted so far.
    Looking forward to the finished figure.

marc
  9. Paul20100 A Fixture

France
    Lovely painting and very clean brushwork. If you allow me one remark, the green is too "contemporary" for my taste. I would have chosen a slightly more vidid color. But you are right in the sense that the chasseur green is a very dark color.
  10. swralph A Fixture

Looking good.
  11. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Looking as a great figure painting!
    I like the subject : Guides of the French Army in Egypt/Consulat/grande armée.(y)
  12. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    So far, so good!
  13. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Great work!!.
    I follow!
  14. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    As always, I look forward to your projects, Dave. Beautiful work(y)
  15. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  17. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, everyone!

Pang, the dark green was tough. I'm using all acrylics here. On a previous project I'd experimented with a couple dark green paints and they all either had a very strong satin finish or came out a bit chalky. I ended up settling on Minitaire's dark green, it was still a bit satin but not as much. From there I further darkened it with Reaper's Burgundy Wine (a very dark purple). My mid tone is roughly 1 part Burgundy Wine to 2 parts dark green. For the shadows I used more Burgundy Wine as well as some black. For the highlights I mixed a medium grey (Reaper's Rainy Grey) into the mid tone mix. This allowed me to push the highlights while retaining the dark green feel. Using a lighter green for highlights would have brightened up the coat into more of a medium green which I wanted to avoid. I used the same trick on the dark blue coat for my Officer of the Navy Guard. I wouldn't worry about using these specific paints, similar colors from any brand would get you similar results.
  18. Bailey A Fixture

United-States

Thanks, Pedro. Yeah, I looked at your threads on the figure before I started painting. A very nicely done figure by the way. I especially like what you did with the base. It also helped push me to experiment with a mix of metallic and matte paints for the lace detail.
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    The green looks OK to me. Especially when we are dealing with period natural dyes, locally manufactured in cottage industry and subjected to exposure in various elements. The green you have is quite close one of those found on Lucien Rousselot's paint chip chart posted on this site earlier. You could argue that exposure to the Egyptian sun could cause interesting fade and colour shift effects as well. Interesting discussion paralleling the discussion on realism currently in the lounge.

Colin
  20. TADATSUGU Guest

Excellent painting David, the face is perfect. Overall though,at this stage the piece looks a little sombre to me. Maybe the lace and highlighting of the red on the legs will lift it, but bear in mind that the light in Egypt is quite intense and direct, having the effect of making colors look quite vibrant. Very impressive work.