1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Officer Mess Dress Skinners Horse C 1910.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by mick3272, Jun 19, 2018.

1. mick3272 A Fixture

Greetings
    This is a little outside my normal era but not by much.
    British Officer Mess Dress 1st Bengal Lancers. Skinners Horse. C 1910.
    1/10th Scale Sculpted by Rob Lane.
    Produced by Hawk Miniatures.

I will stand corrected but I dont think I have seen this one painted other than on Hawk Min stand.

DSCF0490.JPG DSCF0494.JPG DSCF0491.JPG DSCF0496.JPG

The Yellow Jacket with the gold braid should be entertaining and a bit of a challenge for me along with the black facings & wes git. I dont foresee any problem with the lah-di.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

This ornate outfit was worn when the weather was cooler during the winter months. The jacket is yellow with black velvet collar and cuffs. The gold lace was 1" wide (one and a half inches for field officers) and went round the top of the collar and front edge, down the edge of the open front and along the bottom. It also edged the pointed cuffs. The base of the collar was traced with gold chain gimp. There was black piping along the back seams of the jacket, from two gold lace 'dummies' situated on the gold edging near the middle of the back, up to the shoulders. The waistcoat was a thing of beauty. It was black velvet richly decorated with gold chain gimp and gold Russia braid. The gimp formed five rows across the chest, short at the top, becoming longer towards the bottom, with gold olivets in the middle. The front edges fastened with hooks and eyes. A stiff white collar would be worn beneath the waistcoat collar showing about a quarter of an inch.

Cleaned up, just a little casting block on the bottom and a little nipple on each elbow, under coat in the morning and get to work in the morning. In the mean time look at the medal ribbons, Im thinking of The India Medal 1895-1902 China 1900
    Mick
  2. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Should look good, Mick - opt for a more ochre shade of yellow, rather than the bright yellow often seen......(y)
    Nap and mick3272 like this.
  3. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Steve. Yes agree looking at the vallejo` Yellow Ochre 70,913 mixed with a little Golden Yellow 70.948 or the other way round which ever comes out best.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Mick
    captnenglish and Nap like this.
  4. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's the way I'd go, with maybe a cream/beige for highlights...? The original was a more mustard colour than is often reproduced, with many ending up in an almost RAF trainer yellow!!(y)
    captnenglish, Nap and mick3272 like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    mick3272 likes this.
  6. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Following with interest as I have one lurking in my grey army.
    Success!

Pierre
    mick3272 likes this.
  7. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Good luck with this one Mick, you will have no problem with the gold lace. Following.
    mick3272 likes this.
  8. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Mick, My favorite Indian Army uniform. I'll be following this one. Good luck with it.
    mick3272 likes this.
  9. mick3272 A Fixture

Thank you Bob for the vote of confidence. Are you sure your not talking about the Cigar:) and not the lace.
    Mick.
  10. mick3272 A Fixture

Thanks Mike. will do our best with the yellows.
    Trust all is well your end.
    Mick
  11. mick3272 A Fixture

Greetings.
    I have been looking at this over night. I have decided to go with the India Medal 1895 -1902 and the China Medal 1900.

Just airbrushed the primer on so I hope to get some paint on this afternoon.

One Question.???????
    I have been looking at the side cap. I am unable to determine if there is gold piping around the edges of the black & yellow parts.
    Any help on this will be appreciated.

Thanks Mick
  12. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    cap.jpeg skinners horse.jpeg

Hope this helps a little Mick, it would appear that thin gold braid was attached on top of the black velvet on the side cap.
    Nap and mick3272 like this.
  13. mick3272 A Fixture

Thanks Bob. I couldn't blow that pic up to see. Your a star.
    Mick
    Viking Bob likes this.
  14. Hawk_Uk PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mick,

Apart from the one we use on the stand I have only seen one other painted of this great little bust that Rob did for us. I know he enjoyed doing the lace work!

As mentioned the yellow is more mustard than canary :).

Look forward to seeing the finished model.

Regards
    mick3272 likes this.
  15. mick3272 A Fixture

Thanks John.
    Lets see what we can do.
    Mick
  16. Nap Moderator

England

I have this primed with the eyes painted so definately interested in how El Mick goes with this

Must admit it was the artwork that finally " forced " me to get it .......honest !

Bring it on

Nap
    mick3272 likes this.
  17. Hawk_Uk PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Actually Nap this one was not painted by Eddy.

It was done by Dave Maddox

skinners.jpg
    MCPWilk and Nap like this.
  18. mick3272 A Fixture

Thanks John.
    This will give me something to work to.
    Mick
  19. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Watching with interest Mick, his is on my wish list.

The yellow is certainly on the ochre side, as others have said.

Geoff
    mick3272 likes this.
  20. mick3272 A Fixture

Thanks Geoff.
    Yes Def the ochre side of yellow.
    Hope I dont put you off it.
    Thanks for looking
    Mick
    Geoff Charman likes this.