1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Officer 8th ( Kings Royal Irish ) Hussars 1891 ' V' Bust.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by mick3272, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Mick

Well at least it's alphabetical ...B before S !!

Found these , not British but shows contrast between the dark blue and the black lace ( nearly burst into song then with a rendition of "Agadoo do do ..shake da Apple off da tree "

Quick pics it's still early and dark here ...your probably getting back from the disco ...lol

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Nap
    Borek, anstontyke and mick3272 like this.
  2. mick3272 A Fixture

Thanks Kev,
    No the pensionista Dico finishes at 13.30 in the afternoon it gets to hot for us old gits.
    Agree about the contrast, I put a second coat of Prussian Blue on yesterday and it has brought it together more, Bearing in mind my capabilities I was dreading doing this one but I must say its been one of the most enjoyable busts / figures I have ever done. I cant wait to start on the full bust Im sure that will be even more fun.

Well spotted great help thanks.
    Mick
  3. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Very nice Mick, I never like going too dark and never use true black paint, I always either mix a lighter paint to take the starkness from it or use a very dark grey/black, the same with the other end with white, I never apply a straight white, again too stark.
    The blue you are using I think is right with the second coat, I have the same problems with dark blue, how dark do you go??
    Really liking this one and enjoying your thread.

Regards
    Geoff
    anstontyke and mick3272 like this.
  4. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Geoff
    You are absolutely right about straight Black or White or going to dark the art is finding the happy medium otherwise in my mind you may as well spray it black & blue. The thing with this one when I look at it in the flesh it looks a lot lot better than in the photographs there seems to be more definition in real life.
    Im pleased you are liking it and thank you for your kind words and encouragement.
    Mick
  5. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Is the piece still available? Offo sculpts nice stuff...
  6. Nap Moderator

England

Hi John

You can order it on Ellie's Ministures website

Nap
  7. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks Mick, I agree models look so much better in the flesh, mine are the same.
    Keep up the good work.

Geoff
  8. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Thanks Kev
  9. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi John
    As Kev has siad, this is available at ellie miniatures, link below.
    You are quite right Offo does such great work The original is a Full 1/9th scale Bust, and the V Bust above was reworked by Tommi Worton.
    and both are available along with the others in the range all by Offo. The next one out to complete the four Irish Cavalry Regiments will be after Christmas.
    Thanks for looking and I am pleased you like him.
    Mick
    PS Bust price includes world wide postage and packaging
    anstontyke likes this.
  10. mick3272 A Fixture

Greetings.
    Well I am of the opinion that this one is done apart from mounting on a base which will have to wait.

HOWEVER

If you can give any tips or advice that are within my capabilities that will enhance this bust please chip in.
    As said earlier I was dreading this bust and the person who thought of producing this bust in this uniform wanted knotting :oops:
    But I have to say it was a real learning curve and it has been the most enjoyable bust I have done todate. I dont think the pictures do it justice but I am over the moon with it. Roll on the Full Bust which I will do after Christmas. The next one will be of a Sgt 6th Inniskilling Dragoons 1901.

DSCF0278.JPG DSCF0279.JPG DSCF0281.JPG DSCF0282.JPG DSCF0283.JPG DSCF0284.JPG DSCF0285.JPG DSCF0286.JPG DSCF0287.JPG

Thanks for looking, any additional tips will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mick
  11. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Once the coffee kicks in this morning will be ordering one..

My philosophy right now, we are spoilt for choice in terms of new offerings and while my purchases won’t make a whit of difference to so many big firms..or for that matter to some of the world recognized boutique outfits.but amongst the little guys are a bunch who care for their customers, and put out great stuff that interests me..that’s where my money will go
    anstontyke likes this.
  12. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Just ordered a full bust..bring it on!

John

And for what it’s worth, this sort of stuff on PF is my way to find things I want to purchase..the interaction, support..
  13. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi John.
    Well, thank you for your support and Custom.
    I hope you enjoy painting the Full bust as much as I did the V Bust. If I can help in anyway please give me a shout or PM me.
    Let me know when you receive it safe & Sound
    All the best & thanks again
    Mick
    anstontyke likes this.
  14. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Nice painting Mick and as Geoff has said never paint black as black. The Andrea B&W set is a good start.
  15. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Just started this one myself. Will be following very closely. You are off to a great start. Going to give mine the red cap adopted after February 1898 rather than the blue just to add a little color. Will be using the Scale 75 black set.
  16. mick3272 A Fixture

Thanks Bob,
    Your right the only straight black on this is a little on the buttons and down the centre of the fur. The fur although looks black is infact cam black brown.
    Thanks for looking and your kind comments.
    Mick
    anstontyke and Geoff Charman like this.
  17. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Cirsgt.
    Will look forward to seeing this. I wish I had the ability & confidence to re sculpt the side cap. Note the badge is slightly different.
    Dont forget to post some pics
    Mick

[IMG]
    napoleonpeart and anstontyke like this.
  18. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Clrsgt
    Are you doing the Full Bust or the V Bust, as you have slipped under my radar on this one.
    Mick
    anstontyke likes this.
  19. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Mick,
    Actually I am doing the field cap as sculpted, but in red. I based this on information in the old Almark British Hussars book and a Simkin print of the 8th that I found on the net while researching the uniform. I am most certainly no sculptor.
  20. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    I am doing the full bust version. I also have the Enniskillen dragoon and the 5th Lancer as well. Looking forward to the next one in the series.