1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Oberstleutnant Rudolf Frhr. von Gersdorff - 1943

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Sep 5, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great sculpt Colin.
    Very well finished first class.
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Keith. Again I learned a lot. Most importantly to slow down, although this only took me a few days to complete.

BTW - it hard to see from the photos but his arms are done to indicate that his hands are clasped behind his back.

I also realized what I did wrong in my two Isaac Brock misses so at some point I will have another go at him.

Cheers

Colin
    ChaosCossack and Wings5797 like this.
  4. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looking forward to seeing this one progress!

Cheers
    Jamie
    crf likes this.
  5. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Colin
    It makes it all worth while if you pick up some positives in the cold light of day. I have to say you are a lot quicker by weeks than any thing I could do and far more skill to boot. I do find that the the tempo of the sculpt goes in line with how happy I am with the overall feel of the sculpt.

I am pleased that you will have another crack at Isaac Brock. Your 20th Century pieces are amazing but I do have a passion for the 19th Century and was really engrossed with Mr I B. I will be on the look out for his return.
    All the very best Colin.
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Keith - some of the pix above are blurry so here are a few better ones.

Colin

P1010031.JPG P1010033.JPG P1010034.JPG
    P1010025.JPG P1010029.JPG P1010024.JPG
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Very good.
    The arms are a lot clearer. I like that pose.

Cheers,
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I found this picture of a British clam mine and time pencil fuse. Gersdorff had one in each overcoat pocket as he guided Adolf Hitler, Goering and Himmler through the exhibit of captured Russian equipment in the Zeughaus on March 21, 1943. Can you imagine the coolness he must have had to stand in the presence of those gangsters, knowing that the bombs would explode within a 10 to 20 minute time range and not give anything away? No wonder Hitler sensed something was "off" and aborted the event, leaving Gersdorff time to get to the loo and flush the fuses. He said afterwards that there is no way he could ever do that again.

Later similar attempts by Lt. Axel von dem Bussche and Lt. Ewald Heinrich von Kleist also failed when demonstrations of new uniforms were delayed or cancelled. In considering whether or not to accede to Stauffenberg's request to kill Hitler in a suicide attack, Kleist sought his father's advice. After several minutes of silence, the elder Kleist said "You must do it. A man who gets such a chance and who does not avail himself of it could never be happy in this life again."

Colin

image.jpg
    Jamie Stokes and Wings5797 like this.
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    These guys were a race apart, it's hard to understand just how far they would go.
    Great biographies.
    I would add interest if you could include a clam in the finished piece......maybe in miniature as a base.
    Then again maybe not:confused:
    Cheers,
    Keith
    Jamie Stokes, ChaosCossack and crf like this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Keith....cool idea....in fact inspired :)

Colin
    Wings5797 likes this.
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Great job Colin.
    I agree with Keith... I dig your Nappys over your moderns, but I have to say, this is probably the best overall face you've done to date.

But that's just my opinion. Can't wait to see some colour on this guy.

Colin

PS- Black leather overcoat?
    Wings5797 and crf like this.
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Colin. Apparently the Wehrmacht didn't wear black leather, except perhaps by private purchase. He will be wearing one of these.

image.jpg

Thanks for the comments on the face. I too prefer the 19C for uniforms, but I have a thing for the German Resistance and WWI for portraits.

Cheers

Colin
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Colin ,

As always a pleasure to see your work and it's great to see that you get something from each one .

I like this one as it's simple in presentation , great face like the other Colin says probably your best ...until the next !

This will paint up well clean lines and a brave man as well ( can't possibly imagine his thoughts with 2 clam's in his pockets !)

Looking forward to seeing this painted up particularly how the epaulettes look

Like Keith's idea about the base ...over to you

So ...get that brush swirling young man

Watching and waiting

Nap
    crf likes this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Nap. I removed the hat piping this morning because it was an incorrect and inconsistent width; replaced it with copper wire. Here are views of the epaulettes.

P1010035.JPG P1010037.JPG P1010038.JPG P1010036.JPG

Colin
  15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent thread Colin.(y)
    crf likes this.
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Carl. This German dramatization starts with Tresckow and Schlabrendorff arming two clams to put on Hitler's plane. It then proceeds to discuss Gersdorff's attempt, showing an interview with the man himself and then the deactivation if the bombs in the Zeughaus toilet at around the 7 minute mark of the video. The fellow who plays Gersdorff seems well cast but the costume department gave him a Kinghts Cross a year early. It's in German but easy to follow.

Wings5797 and ChaosCossack like this.
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Painting started this morning. Acrylics and inks. Face is perhaps 70% done.

Colin

P1010039.JPG P1010042.JPG P1010043.JPG
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Progressing. Schirmmuetz is just undercoated. Facial shading is still rough.

P1010045.JPG P1010047.JPG P1010051.JPG P1010055.JPG
  19. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Really nice work there, really like the flesh tones you've got, as well as the hat and piping.

Cheers

Jamie
    crf likes this.
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Schirmmuetze mostly done. Face still needs more blending. Cap piping is carmine as per general staff.

P1010069sml.jpg

P1010072.JPG P1010073.JPG