1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

NVA Regular ready for casting

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by amcairns, Nov 1, 2008.

1. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello All,
    All the parts needed in this kit are ready for casting,a little finishing still required but nearly there.The drum magazine isnt shown but it has been made.comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Andy,

I'm a great fan of your work mate, but this figure's face just doesn't look Vietnamese to me! I hope you're not offended by my comments. I like the rest of the figure.
  3. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello,

amazing work you have done:eek:
    Congratulations

Cheers
    Pedro
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice work.

Jay H.
    OKc
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent sculpting Andy.
  6. Chas Young New Member

Australia
    Unfortunately, I can second both comments. The facial features seem to have an African element to them. BUT I'll need to see this fella painted up before I make a real judgement on the face, as I know it can make a difference.

Excellent detail work though, the equipment, clothing and weapons are very sharp.

Good job mate,
    Chas
  7. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    thanks Chas,
    i think there will be a difference once he is painted.although there is a chinese influence in vietnam there is also the indo influence that i think some people forget.i have tryed that influence in the figure too.
    andy
  8. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Concerning the legs, there is a anatomical and historical aspect to this that will escape some who have never labored as these soldiers did. This man has probably carried that weapon from North Vietnam all the way south, dodging air strikes all the way and then doing the same with artillery once past the DMZ; he is past exhaustion, constantly hungry, and as his attitude suggests in constant fear of enemy air. Anatomically as Andy pointed out there are ethnic differences in bodies. Of course all of this comes under research and accuracy which is just not real popular with some folks, though free criticism based upon the lack thereof seems very popular. This guy LOOKS Vietnamese. Way back in the dark recesses of time a fella named Shep Paine said that in judging a figure the nod goes to the artists as he is the one who created it and has done the background work. Course Shep DOES research. GREAT WORK ANDY!
  9. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Andy,

I have a few remarks, if you don't mind.

Concerning the ethnic appearance of the Vietnamese people. The term 'Indochina' is misleading as it only means 'geographically located between India and China'. While there's an obvious Chinese trait, there's NO influence from India in the Vietnamese ethnic roots (contrary to Cambodia). In fact Vietnamese look rather like Filipinos or Malays.

Another issue is the bare calves. It's strongly advised to have your legs covered when walking in the jungle as there are plenty of creatures (ants, snakes, leeches,...) whose sole interest in life is to have a go at your bare flesh. :eek: I should know, I was there.;)

On the other side, this is a great, commended effort. I appreciate the insight and research you've put into your sculpt.

Congrats!

Quang
  10. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Re Quang

Thanks for your comments,
    I take your point about the bareleggedness of this figure,but I based this photographic evidence from various books on the subject ;-).that is I thought the trousers rolled up would make a contrast with the calf muscles in the legs.Im attempting to think of what the painter wants to see too.I guess this figure would create a bit of discussion as its a first for me,but I,ve enjoyed building him.I,ve altered the eyes slightly in the hope he looks a little philipino,you,ll see it when the kit comes out.
    Andy
  11. dinovision79 Active Member

Hi Andy,

great sculpt, I like it very much! Not an expert, but looking at photos, some Vietnamese surprisingly don't look Vietnamese, I think the painting will do real justice.

Well done, thanks!
    Denes
  12. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Andy,Fantastic work.You have captured a very realistic pose.I can just picture your figure moving though the thick jungle growth.Look forward to see him at the club meeting this Sunday.:):):)

Kind regards John.
  13. IIICorps Active Member

United-States
    I agree.
    :)
  14. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Andy,

My remark came just from personal experience :eek:. But then I agree that in friendlier environment, the figure might have his trousers rolled up. Incidentally, Vietnamese peasants used to roll up their trousers when they waded in the water while working in the rice paddies.

Regarding your choice of showing the calves, as the sculptor, you're supposed to know what works best for your creation. As a fellow sculptor, I appreciate your insight and whole-heartedly respect your choice. :)

Quang