1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Nutsplanet Viking Shieldmaiden 1/10

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bigmick, May 22, 2015.

1. Bigmick Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I promised myself I wasn't going to buy any more resin busts until I'd finished the Viking Berserk, I'm so disappointed in myself.
    The sculpt is beautiful and has incredible detail, the resin is quite soft so paring it from the casting blocks is done with a saw or sharp scalpel.[IMG]
    The parts are well packed between layers of foam.[IMG]
    The shield is huge.[IMG]
    Everything was trimmed, sanded and washed ready for primer within a couple of hours, joints pinned with brass rod and dry fitted.[IMG]
    All parts then had a primer coat of Mr Surfacer 1200 then left for 24 hours before getting a brush with a toothbrush, that got rid of primer dust and bits, I found some "blebs" in the hair, either air bubbles or particles of resin from the previous cast, but these were easy to scrape away.
    That's it for now, paint starts next week.
    Mick.
    Mike S., Oldironsides and Eludia like this.
  2. Jan A Fixture

I gone Follow this, it's in my stack also.

Grtx Jan
  3. Bigmick Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jan, if you're on Facebook look for Myeong Ha Hwang, he painted the figure on the box front, there are some WIP pics, Also Google Katheryn Winnick, she plays Lagertha Lothbrok in the tv series Vikings, this figure by an amazing coincidence is a dead ringer for her character.[IMG]
    Mike S. and ChaosCossack like this.
  4. Bigmick Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I also printed off some pictures of her sword and clothing, saves having to keep referencing the laptop or phone
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Looks like you're going to have fun with this one. Now I'm really eager to see her all painted up!

Joe
  6. Macca G A Fixture

Australia
    I'm doing this figure at the moment. The casting is a dead ringer for the actor. I suspect the box art is subtly photo edited to make her face a bit fuller to get around copy write issues. Looking forward to see how you go with this project.

p.s Attention Nutsplanet, you know we're all expecting a Floki bust now
  7. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Do you mean like this one??
    image.jpg
    frank h, ChaosCossack and Macca G like this.
  8. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Welcome on board Mick, nice to see a familiar face from BM (y)
  9. Bigmick Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Billy, I like to spread myself about lol. Macca I know what you mean about the cast, the original for the box art is different to the cast you actually get,
    Macca G likes this.
  10. Bigmick Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I must learn how the delete a post function works, also use the laptop not the phone lol
  11. Bigmick Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Made a start on the shield, summing up bravery to start the face tomorrow.
    I'm using the Vallejo leather and wood paint set, there's a "how to" guide inside so I'm using that.
    Initial paint is the base colours, I used some Vallejo paint extender and Windsor and Newton flow enhancer to level the paint and lose brush strokes, don't know why as lines resembling brush strokes when doing wood are the effect you're looking for.
    Well this is my table, when people aren't sat round it eating.
    [IMG]
    Initial coats of paint, Vallejo Japanese Uniform and Flat Earth.
    [IMG]
    The boards were then given a wash, water and paint at a 50/50 mix, flat earth 983 for the lighter smoke 939 and woodgrain 828 for the darker, when this had dried I gave it another coat.
    [IMG]
    I'll do a bit more later, adding woodgrain and an overall wash to consolidate everything, then use the leather colours to do the shield rim and work out what metallic paints to do the shield boss.
    ChaosCossack, Eludia and crf like this.
  12. Oldironsides Guest

United-Kingdom
    I'm looking forward to more updates on progress.

Mark
  13. Bigmick Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Me too Mark, I've got two damaged discs in my spine so sitting for extended periods is a no no, but I'm trying with the aid of serious meds, just hope it doesn't all go psychedelic half way through lol
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. Bigmick Active Member

United-Kingdom
    So, what have we achieved today, well.
    A few more step by steps, the boards had the wood grain added with a fine brush, then a wash of smoke, then a final wash of black heavily thinned with water, the boss and metal fittings were done with gunmetal grey.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    The shield rim I decided to do in a shade close to rawhide, I'm happy with it.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Finally the metal parts had a wash with thinned black then once that was dry a wash with Humbrol rust enamel.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    I also made a start on the face, eyes first as normal, whites painted with white and grey (no ones whites are white), then made a charcoal grey to shape and locate the iris, this then has lines and dots of two shades of grey/blue, then some random dots of brown around the pupil, (althought the actress Katheryn Winnick has the most gorgeous eyes I prefer the colours of singer Hannah Spearritt, she of S Club 7 fame) then the pupil which again wasn't pure black but a very dark grey, akin to NATO black, then dots of white for highlights and a wash of heavily thinned red.
    I was happy until I added a drop of Tamiya X22 clear, which seemed to dissolve the paint and fog it, which is what I said, or something close.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

That's it for now.

Regards.
    Mick.
    NickM, Ferris, napoleonpeart and 4 others like this.
  15. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice wood effect and the eyes look good to me Mick (y)
    Bigmick likes this.
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Great start. Love the wood effects on the shield and the eyes are looking great so far.
    Bigmick likes this.
  17. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    superb, love the wood grain. Face is excellent. Liking this a lot.
    Regards
    bob
  18. Bigmick Active Member

United-Kingdom
    It seems Mr Surfacer does not like the resin, or the combination of Vallejo acrylics, Windsor and Newton flow enhancer and Vallejo paint extender, I tried to remove a flesh tone wash and the paint stripped back to the resin, a quick scrub with a toothbrush removed the lot, so, another wash in warm soapy water, dried overnight, re primered with Tamiya grey.
    Oh well, start again
  19. Macca G A Fixture

Australia
    G'day Mick , I'm just in the final stages of this kit and just come across a fit issue getting the shield strap to fit flush with the mounting rings, having to fix a small gap with Milliputt. It might pay to check this before painting and slightly stretch it a bit by immersing in hot water to soften. Liking what I'm seeing so far.
  20. Bigmick Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Macca, yup sussed the strap fit while dry fitting everything, it takes a bit of dexterous heating in hot water and stretching, it's supposed to fit around the shield handle, a quick fix it to cut the strap where it goes behind the arm and add a fillet, 2 mil would probably do it. Leaving the primer to cure for a day before touching it, also bought some 5x0 brushes for doing the eyes, maybe improve on them.
    Regards.
    Mick.
    Macca G likes this.