1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Nuts Planet 70mm Darius Canon Figure. 2st Corps Company Master in Greater Empire.

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Martin Philpott, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    Nuts Planet 70mm Darius Canon Figure. 2st Corps Company Master in Greater Empire.

Company: Nuts Planet.
    Catalogue Ref: TBS002.
    Sculptor: Joo Heum Yoon.
    Box Art: Matteo Murelli.
    Material: Resin.
    Price: £33.00 (Historex Agents).
    Availability: (UK) Historex Agents/El Greco/SK Miniatures.
    [IMG]

Forward. The Nuts Planet ‘Triger’ range of figures continues to grow at a healthy pace with this release, at time of writing there are now five in the series including this one. Having previously reviewed the Grimnord and Overwatcher figures I have high hopes for this one.

First Impressions.

[IMG]

Nuts Planet clearly put a lot of thought and effort into their packaging and quite rightly so. The kit arrives in the usual high standard boxing we have come to associate with the company as we see the colourful artwork of Matteo Murrell adorning the top and one side of the box giving a fantastic impression of the figure in its fully assembled and painted finish.
    As well as being decorative the box is functional and sturdy serving its purpose of protecting the kit parts very well. Once opened the box reveals a top layer of 4 individual parts sandwiched between two layers of protective sponge. While these 4 parts are left loose the sponge provides excellent protection against wear and damage ensuring they arrived in perfect condition. The bottom layer holds further parts, this time two clear plastic re-sealable bags are used dividing the remaining pieces and again these are sandwiched between sponge layers.
    As you might expect the kit arrived in first class condition with no damage or missing parts. Let’s now take a closer look at those individual pieces in depth…….

The Figure. The kit consists of 13 individual resin pieces (including the base) cast in a mid-grey colour. The quality of the resin is excellent throughout being of a very nice consistency with which to work.
    As we shall see further into the review, for the most part the pieces are beautifully crisp and sharp with wonderful definition where required. Other than the standard removal of casting lugs and the odd seam line, all of which are very easily dealt with, very little is required in the cleaning of parts prior to commencement of assembly.
    The 4 photos below are taken from the Nuts Planet website (details available at the end of the review) and give different views of the fully assembled figure prior to any painting.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The Assembly. The core of the assembly is this torso piece on which the rest of the build is based. Adorned in heavy armour and carrying a multitude of accessories on the front, side and rear it certainly portrays well a battle hardened warrior about to once more enter the fray.
    Every area to which the eye is drawn shows wonderfully defined detail that should make the painting stage a real joy. Shading and highlighting will bring the figure alive and make all of that glorious resin detail ‘pop’
    (photo below) a wealth of armour, accessories and regalia beautifully sculpted and cast. Crisp clean detail is seen throughout.

[IMG]

(photo below) no areas of weakness, the wonderful depth of detail carries through everywhere you look. The contrast of the heavy armour and the soft flowing material of the cloak worn under is just fantastic and works brilliantly. Superb sculpting from Joo Heum Yoon.

[IMG]

(photo below) the detail and great definition continues the whole way around, the figure exudes quality.

[IMG]

(photo below) the head is a separate piece that I have added to the torso here to check for fit. I need not have worried, typically for Nuts Planet the fit is precise and excellent.

[IMG]

(photo below) great details are seen in the facial features, more than enough to give real character to the figure. Good contrast between the face, hair and beard should allow for the features to really stand out well once painted. For those living in fear of painting flesh this particular figure offers a gentle option for improvement of your skills!

[IMG]

(photo below) the right arm uses the interlocking system for fitting to the torso, for having the shoulder plates fitted and for the hand that carries the heavy sword. As ever this works brilliantly well ensuring a perfect fit every time, hats off to Nuts Planet for such excellent engineering.

[IMG]

(photo below) the left arm uses the very same interlocking system for assembly. Just like the right arm this one is laden in protective armour.

[IMG]

(photo below) the left and right shoulder armour plates. Nice detailing particularly with the right side offering.

[IMG]

(photo below) the back pack has plenty of well defined detail that will show up a treat once painted.

[IMG]

(photo below) is it just me or does anyone else instantly think NERF gun when they see this weapon? Anyway here we have the first of two weapons carried by the figure, a hand held gun with large drum type magazine that looks capable of inflicting some serious damage.

[IMG]

(photo below) the gun seen from the opposite side. Good detail remains sharp especially in the left hand that is moulded into the grip. The fit into the corresponding arm is once again exact, I really like the interlocking system used here. As you will see later the gun also locks into the armoured shield.

[IMG]

(photo below) the second of the weapons, this time an impressive looking heavy sword. Carried in the right hand it uses the same successful interlocking system to fit to the arm that we have already seen works very well indeed. With a half serrated and half straight blade, a fine looking hilt and equally intricate handle the sword will prove a real stand out feature.

[IMG]

(photo below) the armoured shield. Dominated on the front by the Corps regimental insignia. The recess at the top is for the gun that simply slides into place with yet more fantastic engineering.

[IMG]

(photo below) excellent detailing continues even on the reverse side with extra rounds of ammunition stacked on both sides. The gun simply slots into place at the top and very much looks the business in situ. I’m still convinced those are NERF gun bullets though!

[IMG]

Continued on next page.....
    Zastrow.cuirassier likes this.
  2. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    (photo below) the left leg while heavily dressed in armour also has the delicate touch of the robe worn over. A nice contrast that works very well indeed. The flow and movement of the robe looks very natural and realistic and the armour shows superb contrast, an excellent combination.

[IMG]

(photo below) the right leg shows the full effect of the heavily plated armour with a wealth of exquisite detail.

[IMG]

(photo below) the base that is included is a very simple round disc, better than nothing of course, but it would be nice to see something more adventurous. Remove the casting lug, tidy it up and add your own scenery and your figure is ready to be placed.

[IMG]

Photos. I have included more photos taken from the Nuts Planet website. This time they show the possibilities and potential for the completed figure assembled and painted in fine style by the talented Matteo Murelli.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Synopsis. No real surprises here as the Nuts Planet wagon rolls on producing consistent high quality resin figures time after time.
    Quality in every department shines through creating a highly likeable fantasy figure that should prove popular among those who partake of this genre.
    A good part count of exceptional quality parts offers a good opportunity for those that like to assemble, while those whose interest is purely in the painting can quickly progress past the assembly where a feast of sharp well defined detail awaits your attention.
    Keep the great work coming Nuts Planet, this is rapidly turning into a fantastic and highly addictive range of fantasy figures.

Author and PublisherMartin Philpott. (Martin’s Scale Models)

Thanks. My sincere thanks to Benny Sa of Nuts Planet official sponsor of Martin’s Scale Models for this opportunity and review sample.

Nuts Planet Media Sites. Please be sure to click on the links below to keep right up to date with all that happens on the Nuts Planet website and Facebook pages.

Facebook: Nuts Planet on Facebook.

[IMG]
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin,

A great review mate ..lots of immensely sharp details all over the piece .

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Martin Philpott likes this.
  4. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Great review from Martin as usual !
    Thank you for showing us these figures, this allows us to get a good idea of these!
    Hey Nap, you have very good disciples !!!;)
  5. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    Thanks fella's, always a pleasure. Thanks for the feedback, most appreciated.

Martin.
  6. Graham A Fixture

England
    Great review as usual Martin, I an sure devotees of the genre will go nuts over this one. I do wonder where it will all end though? The fascination with impossibly large weaponry (stop sniggering at the back....) seems to know no bounds. I know it is fantasy and I know I am a grumpy old codger but I would love to see more realistic fantasy (?) if you know what I mean.

Stunning piece though and beautifully made.
  7. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    I agree totally with your observation Graham. Fantasy was a genre I once steered well clear off, for the very reason you state. However we have far more choice now and thankfully there are a heap of figures that fit the remit of fantasy but 'believable' fantasy. The 'wargaming' genre has well and truly crossed over into the mainstream. I believe we have a huge amount to learn from them, particularly where painting and diorama/groundwork is concerned and of course many of the techniques used in mainstream modelling are adaptable to fantasy and wargaming.
    I'm definitely with you on this one though, fantasy yes, but within believable boundaries. Thanks for the kind comments and feedback, always appreciated buddy ;-)

Martin.