1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Northumbrian Thegn (Latorre miniatures)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Forté, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Finally time for my first go at a historical 54mm miniature. And thanks to another PF member (evl hmr), I have one of these beauties to work with.

20161111_121249.jpg

First quick inspection let me know that it's been glued before at a few key areas but the super glue came off quite easily as I cleaned up mould lines and added pins. I did also realise that the nose guard and dagger were both missing. Luckily though it looks good without the nose guard and this will push me to attempt making a dagger for it. (evl hmr never got to see the contents and just finding one of these is rare. I for one am seriously grateful to him for it. In fact, he's even opened his and is going to paint it too which should be fun as we bother paint very differently).

The javelins are very bendy but I like the tips so I'm trying to figure out a way to strengthen them. Maybe changing one of them very carefully.

Any way...I'm waffling now.

Basing to build (I always do that at the building stage), a few joins to fill, dagger to make, and javelins to strengthen somehow. Hopefully painting will begin soon. Thinking blue and yellow mainly. Possibly some mixing of the two.
    peedee, Huw63, Jazz and 8 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    A classic figure

Looking forward to seeing more

Nap
    peedee, Oda, anstontyke and 1 other person like this.
  3. Vital Active Member

Russian-Federation
    54mm.? - Excellent! The nose protection is desirable.

Vitaly.
    Oda, anstontyke and Forté like this.
  4. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes, 54mm.
    I know nose protection is always a good idea but such a tiny part is beyond my abilities. Plus you can see the face more without it.
    peedee, anstontyke and Vital like this.
  5. Vital Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Yes it is. Unfortunately, the nose protection is very characteristic detail of the helmet from York.
    peedee, Oda and anstontyke like this.
  6. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve shape the nasal guard from foil crease it down the centre with the back of your scalpel blade and hey presto.
    5 minute job...have a go it will add a lot to the figure, looks much more menacing too.

Paul.
    Forté, Oda and anstontyke like this.
  7. Oda A Fixture

All time classic piece and indeed a wonderful one.I must agree with Vital and Paul that the sculptor has used a specific archaeological find as his model for this helmet so the nasal guard is more or less a must.As Paul has pointed out it is really easy to make it and I do not think that it is beyond your abilities and if you are going to spend time correcting and strengthening the javelins then you definitely can form a nasal guard.I like your suggestions about the palette.

Oda.
    anstontyke and Forté like this.
  8. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    No pressure then eh.

I've been thinking on the bendy javelins too. Reckon I'm going to replace with brass tube but I'm thinking of press moulding the hand and tips in a Miliput/ Kneadatite mix. That way I've room for error and still have the original.

Nose guard wise...we'll see on that one I think.
    peedee, anstontyke and Oda like this.
  9. m@rp Active Member

Belgium
    Hi, I am totally agree with Vital.
    A tiny piece of plasticard will do the trick!
    Pascal
    -----------------------------------------------
    www.figurines-h-p.net
    peedee, Huw63, anstontyke and 2 others like this.
  10. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ok...update time.

Managed to start the groundwork using some tree bark, miliput, small stones, and some sand. Now got the wait while the putty all cures so I can start to clean it up and smooth the edges. Then start adding a few other textures before basing.

All from a basic block. 20161116_145406.jpg 20161116_145328.jpg 20161116_145244.jpg
    peedee, Huw63, anstontyke and 4 others like this.
  11. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've now cleaned up and sanded the sides. Need to go back with some miliput for a few small gaps but I'll do that at the same time as gap filling and miliput washing the mini.

Then I'm just waiting for some brass tube for replacing the javelins and some plasticard to make a seax.

20161117_162737.jpg
    peedee, anstontyke, Jazz and 4 others like this.
  12. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've hit a wall.

Attempted to replace the main parts of the spear and javelin. Thought I'd press mould the tips and hand. Which..well, failed. Then tried to drill the metal tips and hand. Hand is ok but the tips are far too soft and thin.

So, what I'm looking for is ideas to change the weapon but still keeping it within the time period.
    Many thanks for any help.
    peedee and anstontyke like this.
  13. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Been a while I know but I thought I'd give a bit of an update.

Managed to change the spear and javelin using brass tube and some 0.4mm drill bits as pins. Also made something to give the idea of a seax. So here they are.

20161222_224949.jpg 20161222_225000.jpg

I've also managed to start painting too but I've a long way to go and I'm not totally sold on the groundwork colour at the moment but I've still got foilage, pigments powders, and water effect resin to add.
    20170105_221211.jpg 20170111_074927.jpg

Not a clue why my phone rotates all the photos. It's pretty annoying to be honest.
    peedee, Huw63, anstontyke and 5 others like this.
  14. Oda A Fixture

Looks very,very promising!

Oda.
    peedee, anstontyke and Forté like this.
  15. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Oda.
    peedee, anstontyke and Oda like this.
  16. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Nicely done so far. Really like the base. I like this figure myself. Remember having a competition with another member once upon a time which was a good bit of fun.
    peedee, Forté and anstontyke like this.
  17. Huw63 A Fixture

So far it's looking really good.

Cheers

Huw
    peedee and Forté like this.
  18. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Often fun to have that little challenge there. Especially if you're both pushing each other too.
    Thank you.
    Jazz and peedee like this.
  19. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Huw.

And thank you to everyone for the encouragement too.
    peedee likes this.
  20. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice Steve.

Groundwork looks cool too.

Paul.
    Forté likes this.