1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Norfolk Regiment...help

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Eludia, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi folks,

I just recieved the excellent "Over the Top" bust by Model Cellar (Carl Reid sculpt) and my plan is to model it as a Captain of The Norfolk Regiment. My references are few and far between so I was wondering if any fellow planeteers have any info on uniform embellishments from WW1 for this regiment.

I already have a cap badge lined up for the base so I'm sorted in that respect but I'm after details of any recognition flashes etc.

Also if Nap's listening then some pointers in the direction of a realistic medal group would be most helpful ;)

Thanks in advance,
    Billy :)
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    It's a matter of picking a battalion and a year Billy.
    Take your pick.(y)
    Eludia likes this.
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good point Carl. He will be 1st Battalion, 1916 (Somme).

Cheers,
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Billy ,

I am watching young 'un ......I will have a look to see what the Bn was up to at the time, the model I believe has a moustache so unless you want a particular officer , Sputh African medal , maybe Military Cross ....leave it with me

Nap
    Eludia likes this.
  6. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks like this may be easier than I thought:

Insignia
    The division was unusual among other British divisions in that no battle patches were worn on their tunics or helmets, aside from those briefly worn by New Army battalions bringing them from their former division.[10]

Cheers guys (y)
    Billy
  7. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Although I did notice this:

Another distinction of the Norfolk Regiment was the inclusion of a black line in the gold braid of officers' uniforms from 1881 onwards.[3]

Would this be a feature in field dress or just in parade/mess dress?

napoleonpeart likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Billy ,

I take it you are not doing a particular officer ...how about either a long serving officer with the Kings SA medal (1st picture on right) plus Mons Star (next one with rosette) and Military Cross or just the last 2 which I would go with

Looks like the Officer had the Queens SA medal (on left next to Kings)

Nap

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Eludia likes this.
  9. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You're right Nap, no particular officer. I just want to get a realistic set of ribbons on his tunic. I love medals and the stories behind them (I have 6 of my own that each come with their own memories, both happy and not so happy) but as you can probably gather, research is not one of my strong points ;)

Billy
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Billy ,

No problem pm me if you wish , I would give him the Mons Star and MC....

Looking forward to seeing this progress

Nap
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    Billy if he is from Norfolk you will need to model a couple of extra fingers as well :D
    Steve
    Eludia likes this.
  12. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    E'll be a furriner Steve....from Suffolk ;)
    Helm and napoleonpeart like this.