1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Next project - Maj. Gen. Sir Isaac Brock 1812

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Aug 18, 2014.

1. swralph A Fixture

Will watch with interest.Should be a good un
    crf likes this.
  2. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A damn good clip!... thanks for sharing!;)

Mark
    crf likes this.
  3. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    While on holiday in Croatia, I saw this and was intrigued by the reference to Tecumseh. Had great hopes that his prophecies would all come true but Reagan and GW Bush both escaped. Perhaps Jeb will fall foul of the curse when he's President in 2020. More to the point, looks like another great project, Colin.
    crf likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Jeff I didn't know about the curse and had to look it up. Fascinating.

Here is the next step - Sorry for the bad iPad photos. I added his nose roughed in. Started with a triangle of clay for the tip and nostrils. Then added the bridge and smoothed it to both sides. Pressed in the undersides of his nostrils. Used a chisel colour shaper in a rotating motion to create the shape for the sides of his nostrils. Baked.

image.jpg image.jpg
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Got his mouth roughed in. Here are some better pictures. No too Brock-like yet but the basic face is taking shape.

P1010039.JPG P1010040.JPG P1010041.JPG
    P1010042.JPG P1010043.JPG
    Wings5797, Martin64 and ChaosCossack like this.
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looking good Colin.
    Seems Isaac and myself share the same broken nose profile ;) His is maybe a little bit more aquiline where mine is just busted... same result in the end.

Carry on my wayward son

Colin
    crf likes this.
  7. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Colin,

These photos show the eyes too small - exactly as before. You need to make the openings of the eyes larger. They are far too small.

As a rough rule of thumb, the head should be five eyes wide. That is, there should be one eye width between the two eyes plus one eye width at the outside, between the outer corner of each eye and the outside of the skull. Even a casual glance shows that the eyes on your sculpt are considerably smaller than that.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!!

Mike
    crf likes this.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    LOL thanks Mike. I will be opening them up and shaping them some more with a knife. I usually do that later after I settle the nose. But I am sure I won't get them as large as you would like. When I look at a real person I don't always see the five eyes rule in action....but I guess you know that already based in my work :)

Anyway I liked using your approach to the eye. Rather than the full ball that is. Thanks for having a look and commenting.

Colin
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Added clay for muscles beside nose and feathered it in. Made the eyes slightly wider. I think they are pretty close to meeting the 5 eyes rules but for some reason this shows less in photos than in real life.

P1010045.JPG p1010046.JPG P1010047.JPG
  10. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Great progress Colin, very interesting subject matter. I look forward to seeing this progress.
    crf likes this.
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    A truely great project Colin.
    Your research on this fellow knows no bounds, superb information and artifacts.
    As always your starting point on the tile is very effective and works well for you.
    The profile is looking spot on to the miniature. I will not mention the size of the eyes, I always end up eating my words. That said I will enjoy sitting back and watching this beauty grow into a fine 19th Century Red Coat.
    Brilliant subject, billiant start.
    I wish you the very best of luck and great sculpting,
    Keith
    crf and ChaosCossack like this.
  12. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Colin for the history lesson, I am much the wiser for it. Really enjoyed the detailed study of the coatee relic, and the animated documentary.

All the best,
    Jon.
    crf likes this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Jon. We provincials always wonder if our history is of interest to those in the mother country with so much REAL history at their fingertips. Glad you enjoyed them. On reading the detailed 70 page study I have come to the conclusion that Brock likely never wore the Tecumseh sash pictured above. So I may have to put him in crimson. Too bad.

Colin
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Well I am sorry to say that my SBS fell apart when my camera batteries died and needed recharging for several hours. Sorry about that. Modelling continued.

This still needs some additional tweaking. I posted the Danko drawing for comparison.

Colin

P1010057.JPG P1010058.JPG P1010060.JPG
    P1010061.JPG P1010062.JPG P1010064.JPG
    P1010065.JPG

image.jpg
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Nice update Colin...really coming together as well

Good call on the sash as well , are you doing the full sash?

I always admire your work and the great references and information from you provincial fellows ........

Canada has a rightly proud history full of fascinating details ..........

keep them coming young man

Nap

PS get a spare camera!
    ChaosCossack and crf like this.
  16. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    My word that hair is very good Colin.

You have matched the Danko sketch hair for hair on a very busy hair doo. Looking good

All the best,

Keith
    crf likes this.
  17. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I do hope you are going to mould and cast this. Looking very good so far.

Mike
    crf likes this.
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Sorry Mike. I have cast a piece once before and I found it a costly headache. I wound up with a bunch of busts and nothing to do with them. I am enjoying doing the one-offs. That away I can bomb along on what interests me and build the legacy of models for my 5 children to squabble over :)

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is the bust, still requiring some clean-up. I still need to add his button decoration, holes and twist decoration to the lapels. I think I have done an OK job at replicating the water colour and the Danko reconstruction, but I admit he looks a little odd. No one will ever know if its a good portrait.

Colin

P1010001.JPG P1010002.JPG P1010008.JPG
    P1010009.JPG P1010012.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010003.JPG
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Added button loops and twists. You can see that I have sculpted him stoutly as Brock was reported to be.

P1010014.JPG