1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

News Art Girona

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Paco, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Paco A Fixture

Spain
    AZ70-53: Private, 29th Regiment of Foot. American Independence War. Boston 1768-1771
    Sculpted by Antonio Zapatero (70mm)
    http://www.art-girona.com/

[IMG]
    Mike S., marco55, elanlane13 and 9 others like this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
  3. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    Ok, a very nice figure that I will most likely purchase. Excellent sculpt, classic "at attention" pose, and very well painted.
    The subject matter and size are an interesting choice. This is a pre-Revolution, and pre-1768 Warrant, uniform - in reality a transition from French-and-Indian/Seven Years War stylings. The timeframe is the occupation of Boston as a colony of the Crown by British troops, which landed in 1768. The Boston Massacre occurred on March 5th, 1770, and involved soldiers of the 29th Regiment.
    I can't help thinking that a pose more in keeping with the events of March 5th might have been more effective. (Notwithstanding the wooden box, the Tea Party did not occur until Dec. 16th, 1773, and by then troops would have been wearing the 1768 Warrant uniforms.) Such a pose would almost cry out for an Angry Citizen companion piece, regardless of the size/scale choose.
    Again, I like the offering very much, but wonder perhaps if an opportunity was missed here. I will also acknowledge that, as a citizen of the Bay State, references to the Massacre might have more meaning to me that to others! :)
  4. Paco A Fixture

Spain
  5. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  6. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Is it just my eyes or does the musket look significantly overscale?

Gary
    stoffy01, Huw63 and Inaki like this.
  7. Huw63 A Fixture

Hello,

thanks Don for some interesting background to the figure and some excellent observations.

As has been noted the musket does seem to be a bit on the large side and spoils the figure in my opinion.

Cheers

Huw
    stoffy01 likes this.
  8. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I really like the clever way the smaller sculpted man makes the musket look too big, I think his cartridge pouch and bayonet scabbard is too small for the musket though:D
    cheers

Paul.

Paul.
    stoffy01 likes this.
  9. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    The figure looks great, maybe just put a flag on the end of the musket?
    peedee likes this.
  10. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    peedee likes this.
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    very nice.

Marc
  12. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Great work by Antonio once more.

Saludos,
    Pedro.
  13. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    I too think the musket is way too long.
    Mark
  14. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    It certainly gives that impression. However it could represent a very short soldier. A simple measurement indicates that when the butt of the musket is on the ground the muzzle comes up the figure's eyes. Given the Brown Bess was 58.5 inches (4 feet 10 and a half inches) in length, the figure itself is of a man of about 5 feet 2 inches tall. I'm not sure of the minimum height for enlistment in those days, but I think they took whoever they could enlist.

Very nice piece though.

Cheers
  15. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It's not just the length of the musket I referred to but rather, the sheer 'bulk' of the thing which is really evident in the picture third from bottom. He would need arms like a bodybuilder to weild (mush less use) a heavy wood and metal musket of those proportions. Look, I think the figure is excellent but irrespective of any 'small stature' suggestion of the soldier carrying it, the musket (unless its a trick of the camera) is just overscale for this figure and they may want to rework it.

Gary
    Mat Lambert and Huw63 like this.
  16. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Redcap likes this.