1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Painter - First Figure

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by tjfromdevon, Jun 22, 2016.

1. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well done!

To both your super result on your first figure, and Matt and Celine for looking after you.
    They are great people to do business with face to face and on line.

I look forward to seeing perhaps a naval figure from you they are so under represented in our hobby.

Best wishes

Paul.
    garyhiggins and anstontyke like this.
  2. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    You did a fine job there, and being your first piece makes it all the more impressive.

Joe
    peedee and anstontyke like this.
  3. tjfromdevon Member

Having finally progressed some other modelling projects I was working on, I'm about to start work on my next figure - a Roman Decurion, a question though, he has chain mail and a leather kilt. However a lot of the small details like leather straps and buckles lies on top of all this, when painting is it normal to block all the large areas first and then paint detail on top or do you pain the detail first and then block in around it. Suggestions/advice please?
    garyhiggins likes this.
  4. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi TJ, first of all welcome to the Planet, enjoy the forums, enjoy the company, and keep on posting. Your first figure looks really great and i am looking forward to seeing the Decurion. Regarding suggestions, I think you should block in the large areas first and then do the small details.
    Hope to see you at Bugle Call, best wishes, Gary.
    peedee likes this.
  5. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Well done first figure.
    peedee likes this.
  6. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As Gary said by blocking in the large areas with paint you are also providing a base colour for the metals.
    However...where there are VERY small buckles, I paint the whole metal area then paint the straps back in again afterwards.
    anstontyke likes this.