1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

New Guy

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by Army Doc 68W40, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Army Doc 68W40 Member

United-States
    Hey! I'm Billy from the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia, however, thru a cruel twist of fate, I live in Arizona. Recently retired from the US Army (Combat Medic multiple deployments) and can't understand my wife's anger over the paint stains on my hands, clothes, carpet, dog, etc.....lol.
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Billy,

Welcome to Planet Figure. There are plenty of current and former service personnel from military forces all around the world on this forum, and we all share a love of figure modelling. You've come to right place.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Billy

A BIG WELCOME to PF

Great to have you with us here ...as Tony says .." you've come to the right place "

What's you figure interest any particular period ? ....I only do busts don't like legs ..lol

Nap
  4. swralph A Fixture

Hello Billy and welcome to PF:).
  5. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Welcome to the Planet, Doc! I look forward to seeing your work.

Prost!
    Brad
    Army Doc 68W40 likes this.
  6. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Well, here's a former Infantryman that's glad to see you here, Doc! Now I know who to PM if I need a few Motrin from that big zip lock bag you have in your ruck.

Scott
    theBaron and Army Doc 68W40 like this.
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Welcome to Planet Figure Billy.
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Welcome Billy! Paint everywhere, eh? Did you get a little bit on a figure? Eager to see it!

All the best,
    Dan
  9. Army Doc 68W40 Member

United-States
    Thanks all for the kind welcome! Nap Im intrested in all periods especially WW1 but pretty much whatever catches my fancy. Hey Scott, you Infantrymen hold a special place in my heart. It has been my tremendous honor to serve with the "grunts". With that being said, if there is no motrin, just rub some dirt on it and drive on! LOL Dan I hope to post the figure I'm working on this afternoon to prove that some paint did indeed make it to a figure. Also look forward to critiques and hopefully learn something.
    oldtrousers and theBaron like this.
  10. Army Doc 68W40 Member

United-States
    20170301_130517.jpg here is my first figure. What "techniques" I have were learned by reading the links here on PF. Obviously I'm not even in the same league as most of you, however, I am open to suggestions and critiques. Thanks all for your time. Doc.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Doc

Thanks for posting the figure ..first one ...for me it shows great potential so well done to you

Not sure if you have seen it yet we have a completed figures part and also a WIP part called V bench

Happy painting

Nap
  12. swralph A Fixture

Nice one Billy:).
    Certainly a lot better than my first figure.
    I think you have great basis to start with improving and tweaking your techniques.
    Looking at some of the weathering you have done I'm gonna say that you have a background building and painting AFV's/Aircraft;)
  13. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Pretty good for a new guy, Doc! ;) First, it's a great choice of figure, very dynamic, and you capture that in your setting. Second, I really like how you did his face. His expression makes him look like he's on the sharp end and he knows it.

Prost!
    Brad
  14. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's possibly because she wasn't included...they do get like that these ladies.
    I recommend chocolate body paint :) :) :) :)

Welcome to the forum.

Paul
  15. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    "What "techniques" I have were learned by reading the links here on PF. Obviously I'm not even in the same league as most of you, however, I am open to suggestions and critiques."

Don't put yourself down. There are others who will delight in doing that for you. I'm not a painter so I can't talk about technique other than to say I really like the facial expression and the clarity of the rest of the painting. I'm just beginning to learn about painting.

All the best,
    Dan
    Army Doc 68W40 and theBaron like this.
  16. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Welcome from ohio
  17. Army Doc 68W40 Member

United-States
    20170305_142539_00.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Well done - I kinda get the idea from the photo. The action is well done and looks realistic. Keep it up!

In what helicopters did you travel? What scale is this? How about making this into a "wedgie" with the open helicopter door and bits to each side? You can probably find examples of "wedgie's" in Military Modeling Magazine online - http://www.militarymodelling.com/.

All the best,
    Dan
  19. Army Doc 68W40 Member

United-States
    Hey thankee for the support. I'm looking into the wedgie idea. These guys are WW2 German paras. I'm thinking of adding a jump master in the door but can't find any pics. When it comes to birds mostly Blackhawk K/L, Chinook and every now and then little birds. However my beard and Oakleys didn't give me the tier level to play on little birds that much, lmao.
    oldtrousers likes this.
  20. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium