1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique New bust - Francois Fournier Sarlovese

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Jun 25, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Decided to do a new bust of the wearer of my favourite Napoleonic uniform ..... interesting reprobate General of Brigade Francois Fournier Sarlovese, the real character who was the model for Feraud in Ridley Scott's great film "The Duellists."

Scale is about 1/5 and material is sculpey firm. I have already done 3 full figures of Fournier but no bust yet. So here goes.

Here is the stellar portrait by Gros he is based on and a couple of other portraits. Interesting how different he looks in each. I assume the print is post-1815.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

And an excellent repro of his velvet dolman by Empire Costume.

image.jpg image.jpg

A few more pix. The interiors of his ears are not done yet. Eyes still need some trimming to match sizes and shape. I might bush up his hair a bit more - undecided.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Colin
    Grod, storm_zh, tiberius57 and 17 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Nice one Colin ,

This is going to another pleasure to follow

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    crf likes this.
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Beautiful start Colin,

This is really difficult uniform to 'construct' and I am looking forward to seeing how you tackle it.

All the very best,

Keith
    crf likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Not too bad. I may model him holding his shako. I also picked up some nice scale waxed braided cord that I think will do for dolman and pelisse frogging and some twisted wire for the pelisse cords. Both in the jewellery section in Michaels.

Colin
    napoleonpeart and Wings5797 like this.
  5. Bournouna Active Member

United-States
    Wow, another beautiful sculpt from the Master. Thanks Colin for those one of a kind figures.
    crf likes this.
  6. rado2828 Member

looking good
    thank's for shering
    regards rado
    crf likes this.
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks for that although I have a long way to go to deserve that kind of tag. I am enjoying the Napoleonics right now and my head is full if ideas.

Colin
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    The Duel from http://www.napoleonics.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43

Francois Fournier-Sarlovese was born in the town of Sarlat in the Dordogne,, Fournier who was a one-time choirboy would go on to be one of the most daring, unruly, and unpredictable senior officer ever to serve Napoleon. Discipline appeared to be an abhorrence to him, and rules and indeed orders, were to be flouted or ignored, should he consider them unnecessary or troublesome. But for all this he was one of the best light cavalry man in the Grandee Armee possessed. He was great friends with the most famed cavalry man Antione Louis Charles LaSalle . And before the latter’s marriage were notorious hell raisers involving themselves in potentially serious and dangerous incidents much to the vexation of the Emperor. In fact Fournier made a habit of being audaciously rude in the presence of the Emperor.

While the Emperor would look past LaSalle’s misgivings and would even pay his debts and honour him for the excellent service he gave as a cavalry commander. Even for Fournier the Emperor would tolerate his rudeness and recklessness due to his expertise as a cavalry commander. But Fournier had a side to him that left the Emperor with a distaste,for Fournier was a Professional duellist,not for nothing was he called 'The Demon of the Grande Armee'.

So let us return to story of the duel which began in 1794 and ended in 1813.

In 1794, then, there lived a Captain of hussars named Fournier, At Strasbourg, who was considered most hot-headed and quarrelsome man in all that region. Again and again he had slain his man in duels, but no successes seemed to satiate his taste for this sort of murder. On one occasion he had wantonly provoked a young man, named Blumm who was a great favourite among the bourgeoisie of Strasbourg-and as wantonly had slain him.

The whole town was full of excitement, and the whole town condemned Fournier as his murderer. Still, dueling was honorable; who should venture to punish the murderer, who was only [a] duellist? It happened that, upon the night of the burial of poor Blumm, a great ball, long time announced, was given by the military commander of the place. Fournier was among the invited guests; but the general commanding, foreseeing what unpleasant reconter might grow out of his presence, gave orders to his aid-de-camp, Captain Dupont, to station himself at the door, and, citing the order of the general, to not give entrance to Fournier.

Dupont accepted the commission.

Fournier in due time presented himself. Dupont addressed him:

"Fournier, what are you doing here on the night of poor Blumm's burial? "

"Ah! o'est toi, Dupont; bon! I come to the ball, naturally enough."

"And I am here to prevent you, by my general's orders."

"Ah!c'est ga! I cannot fight the general, for his rank; you will, perhaps, have no objection? you who commit impertinences at secondhand."

Dupont accepted the challenge; in a few days they fought, and Dupont succeeded in giving the desperado a severe sword wound; but Fournier, even as he fell, claimed a new meeting. On his recovery another duel was fought, in which Fournier wounded Dupont severely. But Dupont, maddened by the ruffianism of his antagonist, and trusting to his skill, insisted, upon his recovery, on a third trial. Fournier declared for pistols, being himself unfailing in his aim, and amusing himself on leisure evenings by shattering the pipes in the mouths of the soldiers with pistolballs. Dupont, however, claimed a privilege of the military service, and the trial was renewed with swords. Both were slightly wounded. Upon this a duel convention was drawn up between them , running in this way:

1d. As often as MM. Dupont and Fournier find themselves within thirty leagues of each other, they shall meet half-way between, for a duel with swords.

2d. If either of the combatants finds himself restrained by the exigencies of the service, the other shall make the entire journey, in order to effect a meeting.

3d. No excuse, except such as may grow out of the exigences of military duty, shall be admissible.

The convention was executed in good faith; on every occasion when it was possible for the two impetuous men to meet, they met, and fought desperately.

A most extraordinary correspondence sprung up between them, of which we give a sample.

"I am invited," writes one, "to breakfast with the staff of chasseurs, at Luneville; and since you are in that place, upon leave of absence, I shall accept the invitation, and shall hope for the opportunity of giving you another cut from my sabre

"Truly yours."

Or again:

"Dear Friend,-I shall pass through Strasbourg a t noon, on the 5th of November next. You will find me at the Hotel des Postes: we will have a fight."

Sometimes the promotion of one or the other, by destroying their military equality, interfered with the prosecution of their agreeable engagements.

Thus Fournier writes :

"My dear Dupont,--I learn that the Emperor has made you General of Brigade. Accept my felicitations. The appointment gives me special pleasure, since it restores you to equality of rank with me, and gives us opportunity to renew fight, which I shall surely do on the first occasion."

The affair, naturally enough, attracted great attention in its day. Each bore the marks of numerous wounds: each was anxious to compass the death of the other. Both, however, were admirable swordsmen, and held religiously to the law of the duel, which forbade a second thrust after blood had once been drawn.

On one occasion, it is related that they met unexpectedly by night in a chalet of Switzerland.

"Ah, Dupont, it is you! Let us fight! "

Dupont threw aside his cloak, and put himself in position. As they parried thrust after thrust, the following conversation took place:

"Parbleu! I thought you were in the interior."

"No, I am ordered here."

"Good! We shall be nearby. Are you lately arrived? "

"This instant."

"Very good to think of me."

And as he spoke Dupont's sword pierced his neck-cloth, grazing his neck, and pinning him to the mall. The noise of the altercation had drawn in officers from a neighboring chalet, who separated the antagonists. So through fourteen years the long duel trailed, satisfaction not being given or gained.

At length Dupont found himself on the eve of marriage. His fiancé insisted the strife should be ended. He paid a visit to Fournier; he represented to him the inconvenience of the feud and the intervention of his bride. He proposed a final meeting.

A duel should be fought with pistols. Fournier, conscious of his force in that way, expressed surprise. Dupont says,

"I know this. But I have a scheme to put us on a level footing. A friend of mine has a pleasant copse, inclosed by a high wall; there are two gates--one to the north, one to the south. At noon precisely, tomorrow, you shall enter at the north gate, pistol in hand; I shall enter by the.south. Once within the corpse, each shall seek his occasion to fire."

The terms were accepted. At noon the next day they entered; the gates were closed; they advanced cautiously from thicket to thicket. At length they discovered each other, and at the same instant each took refuge behind a trunk of tree. Five minutes passed: Dupont slowly thrust his arm beyond the shelter; the bark flew, there was a quick retort, and one shot of Fournier's was lost. Five minutes more, and Dupont cautiously thrust his hat into sight: on the instant it was pierced, the ball grazing his fingers. He now marched out coolly: Fournier left his shelter, with the empty pistol in his hand--cool to the last.

Dupont took deliberate aim and pointed the pistol directly at his nemesis’s heart.

"I have your life in my hands," said Dupont.

"I give it you on this condition-that if you ever harass me, or provoke me to renew this long fight, I shall have the benefit of two shots before you fire."

The conditions were accepted; the fourteen years of duel were ended; Dupont was married; the duel was done.

Whilst the duel was at an end there is a little more to tell of Fournier-Sarlovese.... Following the Grande Armee's defeat at Leipzig and subsequent retreat he became openly insubordinate and unruly, for such actions he was stripped of his commission. That would have been the end of an eventful career but such is fate Fournier was reprieved. After Napoleon's demise and exile on St Helena the Bourban's brought him back into the army as they began the disbandment of the army. Of the Red lancer's of the Imperial Guard Fournier said "These Gentleman belonged to a corps afflicted with a troublesome prejudices". Did he perhaps forget his brother when he spoke these words, his brother had been with the Chassuers a' Chevel of the Imperial Guard?

For all his faults he was undoubtedly a brave man and carried out many daring exploits, sometimes behind enemy lines. He was not showered with decorations and financial rewards as were many other senior officers, but he was made a Baron of the Empire. In March 1819, the King wanted him to add Lugo to his name in recognition of his conduct in that town so many years before but Fournier preferred Sarlovese after a medieval hero of the Sarlat district.

He died in 1827 and the age 53.

Colin
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I like this allready. Looking forward to your next step.

marc
  10. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Great historical background Colin, something i like to do, the film was also pretty good as i remember
    crf likes this.
  11. swralph A Fixture

Great sculpting,and as you said,it would look better with the hair bushed up some
    crf likes this.
  12. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Looks great, Colin. Hope you’ll take this as constructive, but I think the eyes are a little too small vertically, particularly his right one, judging by the “Fournier Sarlovèze” etching which shows him with quite wide-open peepers.

Thanks for the terrific background on a man we’d probably call a dick-head, nowadays!

Jeff
    crf likes this.
  13. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    crf likes this.
  14. maco61 A Fixture

Italy
    Thanks for sharing.
    It's a pleasure to follow your work.
    Ciao by Maco
    crf likes this.
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Merci for the website Zastrow. Very nice.

Colin
  16. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking forward to this one Colin ,it already looks good ,often thought of painting this Bastard:D
    crf likes this.
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Head, ears and collar complete. His collar decoration is done in my usual style. I am getting quicker at this. Did the whole collar in an hour in the car while waiting for my wife at the dentist. I think I will do him in slung pelisse cradling his shako in his right arm.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Elia, Aveleira, pmfs and 1 other person like this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Colin,

Nice start love the way you do the lacework very effective , like the idea about the pelise and him hollding his shako .......

I will say this now mate this should be commercial piece ..do you work in smaller scales ?

Working in the car eh whilst waiting from the good lady to emerge from the dentist ..have you sculpting stuff in the glove box!!!!!..nice use of time

Looking forward to seeing more

Thanks again for sharing

Nap
    crf likes this.
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Nap...thx for the nice words. I still classify myself as learning and below par for commercial (especially when I look at the Life Miniatures Russian currently on release :)). Also, my fave scale of ~1/5 or so does not fit with popular consumption patterns. I have done smaller pieces in the past but less successfully. I probably could if required but I like these big pieces as one offs...they have a visual impact to those outside the hobby.

Thanks for the feedback on the planned pose.

Colin
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    WOW
    What else can I say? I'm glad to see you pushing putty around again... I was starting to worry ;)
    Off to a gangbuster start on what promises to be another winner. I too look forward to seeing how you treat the braiding on the dolman and pelisse... notebook in hand of course.
    As always, your background research give extra life to your projects, bringing the man's attitude and personality to the sculpt, giving the subject real context.

I'll be following this faithfully... Gotta have faith in something, right? :sneaky:

Colin
    crf likes this.