1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP NCO, Greek Cavalry, Asia Minor, 1920

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by valiant, Jun 11, 2016.

1. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Folks,

Ive been working on this for a couple of weeks and its almost completed, apart from some details to be added. Based on the Tamiya 1/16 Rommel figure, Ive converted it to represent the figure in the title, from illustrations in the Osprey book, Armies of the Greek-Turkish War 1919-22.

I have done some slight repositioning of the head and posture, moved the right arm to hold the carbine and clenched the left fist slightly. All additions in Duro or Milliput, with belts and lacework in plastic strip. Carbine is converted from a Reedees Moisin Nagant, and the sword is from my spares box! It still needs a neck curtain adding, some studs on the leather spur straps, new buttons on the chinstrap and a general tidy up. If anyone has any details of how the sword slings look and attach to the belt, I would be very grateful, as I cannot seem to find any info. I may have to take a "best guess"!

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Attached Files:

2. Oda A Fixture

Interesting subject and so far a good conversion.If you can spare a few days I'll discuss the matter with some friends here in Greece who have an extensive bibliography on the subject and perhaps we could assist you.I must warn you though that I am quite sceptical about the sword.First of all the swords of the period where generaly of the tribar french design concerning their knucklequards.The scabbards came with chapes(although you probably already know that) and they were suspended a little more vertically than depicted in your photograph.I will probably have a little more information for you by the middle of the week if you can wait.

Oda.
  3. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Because you make so many figures that are by definition 'something different' Steve.
    I can only say this is great but there is so much more to it than that. Lovely stuff mate

Paul.
    valiant likes this.
  4. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hi Steve,

I can provide you with pics and paintings with Greek Army officers of this period.
    There are two very informative books (in greek language though) :
    Uniforms of the Greek Army in Balkan Wars by Milonas (an Authority on this subject in GREECE)
    Official History of the Greek Army of the First 100 years after liberation (includes this period among others).
    Let me know and I will be more than happy to help if you need something.
    Fokion
    Oda and valiant like this.
  5. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]
    Minor Asia Greek cavalry army
  6. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Wow....!!!!This was fast!
    Excellent material
    valiant likes this.
  7. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Another cracker. Like this one too. (y)
    valiant likes this.
  8. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    By the way....
    There were figures of these period from Athens Miniatures and more recently form Legacy miniatures....
    Very good quality castings for those WHO might be interested .....
    Fokion
  9. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    My grandfather's brother was a major in Cavalry in Minor Asia Expedition....
    tomifune, valiant and Oda like this.
  10. Oda A Fixture

While waiting for pictures Let me add a few notes from a book about the Greek army of the Balkan wars(which took place only a few years before The Asia Minor war thus the uniforms and arms were almost identical)written by mr Mylonas,probably the best Greek authority and renowned unoformologist-official too-of the Greek army of all periods.the translation is mine.And I quote:Artilerymen,cavalry troopers as well as the transport companies,arms depot troops and medical orderlies were armed with the short version Austrian Manlicher-Schonauer M1903 carbine with the short bayonet.Cavalry troopers did not carry a bayonet but were equipped with the heavy,Austrian type sabre M1887.The sabre had slings of lightly coloured tanned leather.Judging from the pictures I see (mr Mylonas is also a very good illustrator)-,the sword had a solid knuckle guard-albeit possibly pierced- and it is suspended more vertically.I will try to scan some of the paintings from the original Greek-language book and send them to you,if you can spare the time.

Oda.
    PS:It is most probable that Phokionas has a bit more information since he had relatives in this war.
  11. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the tremendous response, guys!

Thanks, too, for the info regarding the sword - it was from the spares box and I have thickened the blade to create a scabbard, but I have left work on the hilt, so far, until I can glean some more info, so its there really for the pic only and to get the look right. It may be that I make one from scratch, instead!

Many thanks again for your interest!(y)
    Oda likes this.
  12. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    If I only knew....
    I have the original sword at home.....unfortunately I am not in GREECE otherwise I would send every little detail.
    Fokion
    Dan Morton, Oda and valiant like this.
  13. Oda A Fixture

As I said Fokionas is the man....

Oda.
    valiant and Fokionas like this.
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    That is a really nice looking figure Steve. You always manage to come up with something different and interesting and some great info posted in response too! (y)
    valiant likes this.
  15. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    About Greek army and history :
    http://www.greekheroes.gr/
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Available in kit, have a look it's seams that there's a lot of great figures there !
    [IMG]
    Oda, billyturnip, valiant and 2 others like this.
  16. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Yeah.... I know this set. but I dont have any of these.....
    I ve built the Greek officer from Athens miniatures ,a limited copies figure long time o.o.p
  17. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Here are the figures from Athens miniatures, Greek Officer 1.jpg Greek Officer 2.jpg Greek Officer 3.jpg Greek Evzon 1.jpg Greek Evzon 2.jpg Greek Evzon 3.jpg painted a long time ago.....
  18. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
  19. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
  20. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece