1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Naval Brigade uniforms

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Paul Kernan, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Folks:

I asked this question on another thread but I think it may have been lost in the volume of other postings, so here goes again.

As you can see it looks as if the bib/collar as been sculpted as a double layer, however, it doesn't feel right. Any pics/illustrations I've been able to find, seems to show a single layer. Should I leave it as sculpted or is it surplus metal from the casting process?

If it is the latter (I'm leaning toward to this) then I will need to carve it back and re-sculpt the bib and shoulder

Thanks for any advice

Attached Files:

2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Paul, it is a double layer. The underneath part is actually the collar of the jacket, properly called the jumper, so will be the same dark almost black serge material. The upper part is what you will have seen in illustrations a lighter blue with three white stripes around the edge.
    Sorry I can't post any pics as I'm at sea but if you do an image search for seamans serge jumper you'll see what I mean.

Roger.
  3. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Roger:

Brilliant, mate. That's all I needed.(y)

Cheers

Paul
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    You're very welcome Paul, good luck with it and I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of the painted figure.

Roger.
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  5. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is an interesting contemporary print:
    [IMG]
    Mike
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  6. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Paul,
    Here you go.
    cheers
    Richie
    HMS Shah.jpg naval brigade bronze.jpg Naval Brigade uniforms.jpg Petty Officer Naval Brigade 1881.jpg Sailor_HMS_Boadicea.jpg Sailors_Boadicea_&_Shah.jpg Sailors_HMS_Active.jpg Sailors_HMS_Shah_(1).jpg Sailors_HMS_Shah_(2).jpg Sailors_HMS_Shah_(3).jpg Sailors_HMS_Tenedos_(1).jpg Sailors_HMS_Tenedos_(2).jpg Sailors_HMS_Tenedos_(3).jpg Shah fig.jpg
    MCPWilk, billyturnip and Paul Kernan like this.
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    Just to add to Richie's collection :sneaky:
    [IMG]
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  8. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    I have or have seen a number of these prints before but the third one down of the re-enactors seals the deal, doesn't it. Great reference material.

Guys, I am in your debt.

Cheers

Paul
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Amazing post Richie! A wealth of detail!

All the best,
    Dan
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  10. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Interestingly, the thick navy collar appears to have long since gone, with the current uniform having only the mid-blue collar with the three thin white stripes.

[IMG]

But of course, square rig is now confined to No1/ceremonial wear, and is no longer working dress.

Mike
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Mike, a good gust of wind will show the collar is still part of the No1 jumper.

Roger.