1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book Mycenaean Warrior from Altores Studio

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi everybody,

Time for another little look at a release from a company that has released some interesting subjects in the past , from Russia they have chosen their subjects well , offering a diverse range of figures , small at the moment but growing .

The company I am talking about is : 0.jpg

The release is :

0A1.jpg

Who were the Mycenaeans , very little is actually known but the early period was noted for a like of all things Minoan primarily on the way warfare was carried out and the weapons they used , including armour , shields , chariots, and helmets .
    0aaa.jpg 0aaaaa.jpg 0aaaa.jpg 0aaaaaa.jpg
    The most distinctive and most frequently seen is the boars teeth helmet , an amazing feat of craftsmanship , this is seen worn by the foot and chariot soldiers , foot soldiers having very little else apart from maybe a large figure of 8 shield or a full shield. 1ab.jpg
    a0.jpg View attachment 244624 0aa.jpg a0aa00.jpg a0aa.jpg
    One of the most unusual armour seen was that worn by those in chariots and indeed on foot , a full suit of heavy bronze , in sections , nowadays called the Dendra armour after being found in the village of that name.
    a00aaa.jpg
    bb.jpg
    00000.jpg 0000000.jpg
    The culture was famed for its skill in both bronze work and gold as well as pottery with some amazing finds being uncovered
    01abb.jpg 01ab.jpg
    bbb.jpg
    1a.jpg
    This subject in the armour is the choice of the release from Altores ...already a very unusual choice and one not seen before for a long while if at all.

Books are a little hard to find but these are a couple that make very interesting reading.
    a.jpg aa0.jpg

Continued in next post

Nap
    Red Five, Nemo, Tom W. and 4 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets rumble with the resin

Details of the release:

Originally advised here on PF at : http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/altores-studio.77565/

Title: Mycenaean Warrior XIV BC

Reference: F-54-003

Scale: 1/30th

Material: Gray Resin

No of pieces: 10

Sculptor: Alexander Deryabin

Box Art: Alexander Kataurov

As with the previous releases fast shipping , good customer service in response to my questions which is good to see , packaging as before , a white cardboard box with colour box art .
    Altores 001.jpg
    Parts consist of the main figure , 2 arms , a choice of heads ( with different helmets) a piece of body armour, sear shaft( with hands), a weapon in scabbard, sear point , base.
    Altores 002.jpg
    As before prep is minimal with just the removal of parts from sprues and small casting remnants to cut away , oh and choose which head type!!!
    The spear is resin and as such might be a bit delicate , careful work will be needed to fit the point , some might replace the resin with a scale piece of brass rod.

Looking at the parts now :

The Main Figure , this is an action pose feet spaced apart spear at the ready , the upper torso is very well sculpted and the armour style is well represented ( you will need to fit the back piece) , good undercuts on each section , the neck area is very smooth inside ready for the head.

Altores 007.jpg Altores 004.jpg Altores 005.jpg

At the rear we have a cutout ready for the additional piece of armour

Altores 006.jpg
    Across his chest there is the weapon belt ,underneath the armour we have fringed clothing these are nicely in scale.

The legs are powerful looking positioned defiantly , the lower legs being protected by the greaves these display a design on them well defined , under them a protective cloth , feet are bare with nice work on the toes , the nails are easily seen .
    Altores 003.jpg
    The Arms again we have the armour this time protecting the shoulders , same qualty sculpting as on the torso , nice undercuts , the lower arms have an armlet around , fit into the torso is good with minimal filler required.
    Altores 013.jpg Altores 014.jpg

Back Armour...a perfect match to that sculpted on the torso , easily fitted by using the cutout and the lug on the back .( see picture of all parts)

Head...a choice of 2 .......one boars teeth style the other a normal metal type , I have to say that the boars teeth one is my favourite, excellent work on the teeth themselves and the cheek pieces .
    Altores 011.jpg Altores 012.jpg
    The other has a design on it this will equally paint up very well indeed , the helmet has a horsehair plume , detailing is very good with not a sign of any blemish on either of the heads.
    Altores 009.jpg Altores 008.jpg Altores 010.jpg
    The Facial features are both bearded but showing different characters so well done the sculptor , , nice features with the mouths being open , teeth showing , hair is different in design , and nicely shown.

A very nice option from Altores which is good to see

The spear which was normally about 12' long is like said delicate , it has the hands sculpted on , fit to the wrists is very clean , the hands having some nice work on the separation of the fingers. Altores 015.jpg

The Point is well shaped and will need careful fitting but certainly looks the part...lethal ..if its slightly bent ..a quick dip in hot water ( be careful) will sort that easily. Altores 018.jpg ( the former on the right held the sword)

The Sword , nicely worked with the scabbard having a "V" design on it, fit to the torso is again easy using the provided cutout .

The Base ..nicely textured groundwork , stony and with branches , cutouts for the feet ensuring a nice clean fit.

Altores 017.jpg Altores 019.jpg

Final Thoughts

A nice and unusual piece , well thought out , easily built up , well sculpted and cast , good box art as well for reference . the subject choice offers a gateway to the painter to get those metallic effects going on a nicely worked area.
    Well done to Altores on choosing this to release it will make a fine display piece ..but be careful of that spear!!!

For details on this and more from them :

E-mail: altoress@mail.ru

They are also a member of FaceBook and the forum here on PF

Thanks to [IMG] for the review piece

Finally lets have some more pictures...ENJOY this and your modelling

Before casting
    0000a.jpg

Box Art ....
    0000.jpg
    000.jpg
    00.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Nap
  3. Oda A Fixture

Great review and presentation.As for the piece,what can I say?It's perfect.Excellent sculpting,one of the best castings I have ever witnessed,great subject and of course in a scale that is most dear to me.I have said it before,I know,but I will say it again.I am a very big fan of this new company.I think that they have a bright future.

Oda.
    napoleonpeart and ALTORES STUDIO like this.
  4. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Thanks a lot
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  5. tock24 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Great review, great figure! Wish it was larger - bust or half figure would be perfect! Figure 8 shield would look good.....
    Ian
    ALTORES STUDIO and napoleonpeart like this.
  6. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Very interesting figure and the sculpting is fantastic as making this kind of armor look good is not easy. Nice review as usual.

Bob
  7. mortier A Fixture

Germany
    Great review of a great figure
    Good luck to Altores
  8. elgreco A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Another great review Kevin. We just received their stock and the sculpting and casting are excellent on all kits....
    napoleonpeart, ALTORES STUDIO and Oda like this.
  9. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the review . Such an interesting subject and that armour I don't think I've seen before, very unusual, to me anyway.
    Tempting.
    Cheers
    Mat
    napoleonpeart, ALTORES STUDIO and Oda like this.
  10. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Here is one I made in 2000. 1:1 scale. It is a near exact copy scaled up from the original. The only fault was 1.6mm bronze , the original being half the thickness making it quite light and easy to move in. Peter Connolly in his drawings got the neck guard too deep and he did get his fingerprints all over my reconstruction one weekend .

Attached Files:

Oda and napoleonpeart like this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Very impressive what did you use for the helmet ?

A Big welcome to PF as well

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  12. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I bought a selection of boars tusks and cast them up in resin so I could shape and drill them. They were stitched onto leather strip helmet. I have photographs somewhere. The cheek pieces were leather and bronze. Took several months but got there in the end. I used to spend hours rummaging in the back rooms of museums to get thing right. I never relied on books.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Sounds a lot of work do share the pictures if you find them

Happy Modellng

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  14. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I might do that. Perhaps in the uniform reference section

I once hammered out a knee length bronze scale shirt from the same period. That took me Five months making 25 scales per day.

Andrew.