1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

My New Project For 2005.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by yeo_64, Jan 15, 2005.

1. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi guys ! I saw this cover on the latest issue of Military Modelling (Vol.34 No.15) and was inspired to create this figure for my collection. I've also been meaning to try-out Bill Horan's excellent SBS on how he created a new rifle from a Shenandoah Springfield rifle "blank" and this seemed the perfect excuse to do it. So far I've sculpted the shako and added the appropriate hairstyle and facial hair to a Hornet head. I also detailed the footwear (based on resin brogans from Michael Roberts Ltd.) and "locked" the pose in with putty. I'll be working on the uniform next,followed by the rifle,equipment and groundwork. Thanks for looking and cheers !
    Kenneth :lol:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Another masterpiece gets built up :) I can't wait to see this beauty finished. British army of that period is my favorite. Keep it up Yeo
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Kenneth, looking good so far,I'll be following your step by step with much interest.

Kepp up the good work.

CHEERS

Roc :)
  4. y_wong New Member

Hey Kenneth,

Good choice and looking forward to the completion

regards :)
  5. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Nice project Kenneth. By the way, did you know that there exists an excellent 120mm figure of this Rick Scollins ill. sculpted by the late Sid Horton, still available from Verlinden ? Give that one a try too ! (y)
  6. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    That's a great subject !!

The shako is looking great so far, can't wait to see the figure with some more details sculpted in.

Which shenandoah rifle are you using for your "blank"?

-Alex
  7. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks,Xenofon :lol: ;I really appreciate the encouragement ! Cheers.
    Kenneth.
  8. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Roc,my dear friend,thanks for the encouragement ! Cheers.
    Kenneth :)
  9. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Wong Yau,my friend,thanks for the positive comments :lol: ! I've taken your suggestion and incorporated it into my final sculpt. Cheers !
  10. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hey Johan,thanks for the positive comments;I really appreciate it :lol:! I might just try the Verlinden one next ! Cheers,
    Kenneth.
  11. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks for the positive feedback,Alex :lol: ! I'll be using the Shenandoah Springfield rifle as my rifle "blank" for this project. HTH. Cheers!
  12. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi guys :lol: ! Well,here's the final sculpt with all the details added in. The rifle depicted is a Henry Nock rifle,used by some riflemen during the period. I modified it according to Bill Horan's technique. The canteen started life as a pair of French WW2 Renault light AFV roadwheels ;) ! I'll be working on the groundwork next (a hillside somewhere in the Spanish Peninsula. Thanks for looking and cheers !

[IMG][IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looking fantastic Kenneth.
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looking Great Kenneth,

I got to wait for the painting. But from now it is amazing.

Marc
  15. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks,Guy;I appreciate the encouragement ! Cheers.
    Kenneth.
  16. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hey Marc,thank you very much ! I hope I won't disappoint with the painting. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  17. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi everyone :) ! Here's the figure placed on the groundwork for the vignette. The groundwork was made of polystyrene foam covered with coloured Celluclay. Hudson and Allen roots,static grass and some fine dirt was added,secured with generous amounts of white glue. I also resculpted the lock mechanism of the rifle(the original was too big !) and added a "Valiant Stormers" badge to the left sleeve of the figure. The next step will be painting the vignette. Thanks for looking and cheers !

Close-up of the "Valiant Stormers" badge on the figure's sleeve.
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]
  18. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Excellent work Kenneth. Can hardly wait to see it painted up. How did you make the rifle straps? John
  19. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi John ! Thanks for the encouraging feedback;I really appreciate it ! The rifle straps were done with rolled-out Duro,left until it is almost set,before cutting it to shape and size. Check out Bill Horan's vBench for how he did his Brown Bess rifle 'cos that's how I did my Baker rifle too.HTH. Cheers !
  20. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    That's excellent job Yeo. I can wait to see the painted result. Napoleonic british army is one of my favorites. :) Keep up the good work my friend.