1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

My latest..."Old Pete"

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by bwildfong, Jun 30, 2015.

1. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Hi all,

After a bit of a drought, just finished up this one - Confederate General James "Old Pete" Longstreet in 54mm from Pegaso, another of my "blind stash dives" into the grey army:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I must have been seduced by the subject when I bought it some years ago, since I overlooked some oddities with the pose - a downward gaze under a slightly - too - small hat and a peculiar weight shift. I tried to compensate a bit by raising the figure up on top of an earthwork. The battlefield debris are some items taken from the old Dragon kit of Union infantry.

As always, critiques and advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    You are really out of your normal comfort zone Brian. Looks great. I really like how you have set him.
  3. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I didn't pick up on the hat size or the stance until you mentioned it. Very nice tones for the face and coat. The ground work is excellent, well done sir!

Tom
  4. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

I dig it.

Steve Deyo
  5. Ray Welshman Active Member

Looks good Brian

Cheers

Ray
  6. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very well done Brian. I really like it a lot.

Xenofon
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Love it Brian.
    Must have been fun painting something without greens or khakis LOL Looks fantastic!!!! Love the additions on the groundwork... really gives context.

Look forward to 19th century pieces from you. Will you be at the meeting Sunday with this guy?

Colin
  8. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Love the way you've raised him up on the base and the whole piece hangs together beautifully
    Cheers
    Paul
  9. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Looks great Brian! (y)
    The composition is spot on and the groundwork is excellent. As Colin S. said, gives context. A very realistic context.
    Love the weathering. It ties him very well to the context.
    Cheers my good friend!
    Zeno :)
  10. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Thanks gents for the too - kind comments. A real modeller would've corrected the figure's faults before painting but I just needed something to keep the hands and eyes (and sanity) in practice during essay and exam season.

Thanks Colin - I've been gathering up the stones to tackle some of the non-WWII stuff in my stash lately - there's a lot of it!

Thanks Colin - the non-khaki stuff is a real challenge for me since my colour theory isn't really up to snuff ("How DO these people shade and highlight "real" colours ?":))
    If I'm not up North working on the shack this weekend, I'll definitely be there and I'll bring Longstreet along as well.

Thanks guys - like I said, the figure was a little "meh" so I used the groundwork to distract the eye a bit ;)

Cheers all and thanks fer lookin'!
    Brian
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nicely done. The GW looks pretty cool
  12. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada

Excellent...my devious plan is working perfectly - distract them from the figure with some kickass groundwork trinkets, the unwitting fools - mwah- ha- ha- ha! :)

Seriously, though, thanks Mike et al - much appreciated.
    crf and ChaosCossack like this.
  13. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Great atmosphere on a well done photography.

Cheers,
    Pedro.
  14. HenriCleutin66 New Member

United-States
    Nicely done my friend! Mouth-watering! :)

Regards,
    Davidoff
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great piece of work brian,lovely painting,weathering and groundwork
  16. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Brian,
    Looks good to me and nicely displayed.
    Cheers
    John
  17. Ferris A Fixture

Nice work. I see your points about the figure, but the overall look is very attractive. Love the groundwork, great after-battle feeling.

Cheers
    Adrian
    smudger1960 likes this.
  18. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Thanks gents for the kind comments!

Cheers,

Brian
  19. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Old Pete was in the WW2 Canadian Army???? I did not know that;);)

Great work Brian. Really like the groundwork work...effective in a small area(y)
  20. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice work all around.

Marc