1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

My lastest figure...

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Indydog, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Indydog New Member

This is my 3rd figure and I'm getting more comfortable doing them. I still need to work on my eyes, but I'm happy with the results.

Pegaso 90mm Roman Centurion.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Mark,

You gonna do more shading and highlighting on the whole figure. It seems a bit flat now.
    The red is everywhere the same, highlight with yellow, shade with green.
    Line the eyes with a dark brown, and instead of using white for the eyeball take a lighter skincolor.

Marc
  3. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    this and other useful tips were offered on the previous figure. you can't learn anything new if you don't step outside your comfort zone, try a bit of shading and highlighting as per Marc's post and in a few months you will look back and wished you had tried it earlier.

Zane
  4. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Marc and Zane are absolutely right. I have to say you really like a challenge with the figures you're choosing.
    Initially concentrate on the shading ....... take Cadmium Deep Red or similar mix in a little Green with a touch of Raw Umber until you've got a dark mid red.
    Paint thinly into all the folds and creases of the cape and then with a soft flat brush start to draw the dark paint from the creases up towards the areas where the highlights will fall.
    Using clean dry brushes slowly remove most of the paint leaving the deeper colour in the creases and gradiating up to the highlight area.
    If you get too much on the highlight area take a small piece of folded paper kitchen towel and wipe across the raised area.
    All of this is assuming you would be happy to use of oil paints and because of the slow drying time you can work across relatively large areas 'til you're satisfied. You can of course start to deepen the shadows after this stage has dried using the wet on dry method...remember with oils a little goes a long way
    This is a quick and way of acheiving a convincing result, you can then start to develop more technical methods.
    Cheers
    Derek
    swralph likes this.
  5. swralph A Fixture

Hi Mark.
    Watch this and see what you think,it is aimed at beginners
    It's in German with English subtitles
    DEL likes this.