1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP My Friend, the Enemy ACW

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ErGide72, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    So far it looks great. I thought the pedestal would be a bit bigger, the spell of the painting is, among other things, around the soldiers, but I think it will not hurt it when it is smaller. My curiosity is definitely on, and I will watch very closely. Just keep going, keep a good job.

Cheers Borek
  2. ErGide72 A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello Planeteers,

A small update, struggeling a bit with the water...:happy:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Frozen water made from plastic foam material found a protector in packaging boxes etc. Cut into thin slices then made a round shape so it fits better around the stones.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Figs are well underway.
    [IMG]

Cheers Erik
    Borek, arj, oldtrousers and 7 others like this.
  3. jai A Fixture

Italy
  4. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

I like it..but wonder..if you’ve ever stood on a rock in a frozen creek, first it’s slippery, second the cold is more intense..the painting isn’t really speaking to the cold I know..but I’d be trying to paint the figures to look a bit more chilled..
    ErGide72 likes this.
  5. ErGide72 A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thx guys,

@ Johny; Yes, you're probably right! As a matter affect (and out of personal experience :sneaky:) ; I wouldn't like to stand on a small stone (like this, like in the painting) in a half frozen creek, affraid to slip of in the (very) cold water and then trying to get it all dry (in wintertime!! :grumpy: )
    On the other hand, even on a sunny winterday, out of the wind it can be 'nice'! ;) and yes
    so... I stay with it (I think...:unsure:...)

Cheers
    Erik
    Old johnny likes this.
  6. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

I agree ..your setting looks great...to change it would change the meaning ...it’s not about freezing ones rear, it’s about the connection between otw combatants...your water and snow is great work
    ErGide72 likes this.
  7. Ferris A Fixture

Very nice work and creative use of materials.

Cheers
    Adrian
    ErGide72 likes this.
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very realistic.(y)
    ErGide72 likes this.
  9. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    For the final scene I would have them more facing each other so they are interacting a bit more and not just peering off down the stream. Also, another way to do water effects like you have done here is to use something like 5 minute epoxy. You mix it up, spread it around the rocks, then pick at it with something like a toothpick as it sets up. As it hardens, it will take on a the texture and slightly white color you are looking for.
    Nice work!
    ErGide72 and Richie like this.
  10. ErGide72 A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks guys :)

@Jason (and others :D) ; The figures will be turned more to face eachother, is just a pic to show dimmensions/WIP. ;)
    About the water; Yes, there are many ways to do water! The effects you describe here are very good to simmulate that 'restless' water floating around stones in a small stream (As a matter affect, parallel to this project I'm working on an other vignette with just these effects (y))
    For this vignette I was looking for the ice effect that occures around rocks/stones just above the water level; turned out nice I think...:unsure: ....(tryal and error....:blackeye:)

On to the painting :joyful:

Cheers
    Erik
    Old johnny likes this.
  11. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I like the effect you have gone for, the figures are very good and look period for late war. Well done.
    ErGide72 likes this.
  12. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

I know you may yet turn them to face one another...but as they stand I get a certain “screw it this War sucks, let’s just smoke a cigar and drink coffee “ feel...either way you play it will be successful..
    ErGide72 and napoleonpeart like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Erik

A great idea and fine modelling , like the groundwork and the interaction between tge figures

Thanks for sharing this looking forward to the painting

This scene could be used on many periods as mentioned

Nap

PS Why not enter sonething into FOTM as well
    ErGide72 likes this.
  14. jai A Fixture

Italy
    last night I read the new comments of this discussion ... this morning I decided to cross the river near home to realize if it is slippery and cold ...

It was not so cold, - 4 C., and a few rocks were covered in ice.
    The same ice is only around the stones where the water is still
    Many snowdrifts on the rocks melt to form ice candles
    A pile of ice formed on a stone resembling a cock's crest
    Here are some of the many photos taken with the phone ...
    IMG_20171210_101744.jpg IMG_20171210_101755.jpg IMG_20171210_101821.jpg IMG_20171210_101936.jpg IMG_20171210_101954.jpg IMG_20171210_102007.jpg IMG_20171210_102532.jpg IMG_20171210_102553.jpg IMG_20171210_102609.jpg Watching the river live and then the photos .... I must say that you did a great job
    Borek, oldtrousers, ErGide72 and 2 others like this.
  15. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Very realistic diorama . I have used small blobs of Clear Silicon Sealant pricking with a toothpick to get the same effect around rocks similar to the foam you used as I have found 5 minute epoxy resin turns yellow over time .
    chippy
    Borek, ErGide72 and Dan Morton like this.
  16. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

You want references for snow? I can help! Ha ha..jai, where in Italy do you live? Looks like around here in British Columbia
    ErGide72 and Dan Morton like this.
  17. jai A Fixture

Italy
    we not only have the snow in common .... one of the main streets is dedicated to a general of Canadian origins (was injured in waterloo)
    As in Canada here, one of the few places in Italy, we play Ice Hockey.We are the most followed team of all the Italian championships ... even if the one that won the least
    In the 2006 Winter Olympics, the National Women's Team was a guest in my country .....

my country.PNG
    Borek and ErGide72 like this.
  18. archimede Active Member

Italy
    The photos he posted Jai are very interesting to take as an example. The scene is very beautiful. Even the pose of the figures is right.
    ErGide72 likes this.
  19. ErGide72 A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks guys :):)

@Johnny;
    They will be turned a bit, not face to face though! Like you said
    enough turn to get this feel and so that they still interact with eachother (in one way or another:D) We are in line :D;)

@Nap;
    Yes, it's something that could happen on every battlefield, in (almost!) all era's during wintertime. Esspecially around this time of year...:happy:
    FOTM... when I get ready in time....:angelic:

@jai; Nice pics! Took my reference from the stream near to where my family in law lives (Eifel, Germany...). Something I looked at it every time (esspecially in wintertime in this case)when I visit them. No pics :cry:, been there very often so it's 'in the head'....:D

Cheers
    Erik
    Borek and jai like this.
  20. ErGide72 A Fixture

Netherlands
    Small update.

Had some time for face painting,
    [IMG]

Try to make it look cold, don't know if I'm happy with it...:cautious:...

Rest is just base colour...

Erik
    Borek and Landrotten Highlander like this.