1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP My First 40mm French Form Trident Designs (update 2)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by MarquisMini, Feb 24, 2013.

1. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    DSC03782.JPG DSC03784.JPG Hello planeteers,
    i have 4 of this guys in my workbench and today after a few days vacation was able to get back to my brushes.
    One of the troopers is the first try,i have the other 3 in the process of experimenting with different colors.
    On the latest 3 troopers i primed the figures in black,basecoated in a mix of pale sand,ivory,japanese uniform and black,i went from the darkest shadow towards the lightest light,finally used pure ivory for the last lights.
    On the pants i basecoated with neutral grey, first lights only with stone grey, second light only with deck tan and last lights only with white.
    sanded the hats a little since when i applied the primer i was able to notice some rought areas,don't know if that was the primer or some putty from modifying the hats.
    hope you folks like it.
    Best regards
    Edorta, billyturnip and Don Johnson like this.
  2. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I've been looking forward to seeing these, the look great so far mate. Im sure a bit of love and attention will make them look awesome. (y)
  3. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Thanks Taff! , i finished the hats few minutes ago, it is looking better, i guess this is one of those things that you have to see almost the entire figure basecoated to be able to see the fig coming alltogether, especially when you have different shades of "white".
    thanks for passing by :)
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    See, the black undercoat works well at this scale. I really like the effect on those three. They look really cool.
    How many is in this project?

Colin
  5. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Bought a Battlepack of 20, but i want to add a detachment of grenadiers too. They will arrive in one week.
    So, i am still to determine the amount of troops iwant for each regiment, but first i have to think about the base.
    The idea is to depict the French regiments gathering and marching towards the final battle positions,i will include columns of troopers marching towards the battlefield leaving town,so i will include some colonial houses and fences. :)
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Whew... Another monster project.
    Good luck
  7. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Lol I know I know,always addind this projects ,like life wasn't busy at all.
    I just hope it looks at the end, otherwise I'll hang the towel and pick a different hobby haha
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I don't think that will be a problem once you settle into the technique you want to use. I really like the result you got with the black undercoat. How did you find painting like that... a little faster, no?
  9. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Yes,a very different concept than the regular,I just need to fine tunning my technique and then it will be much easier and faster.
    Always happy to see you in my threads mate.
    Cheers
  10. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    Very nice!! I think you've given these a great start. The different whites are well done, and show the detail that is in these sculpts. Can't wait to see them finished!
  11. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Thanks Don :).
    I have heard of people that finish a whole battlepack in a week, i don't know how cause it takes a bit of time to get this guys ready.
    Best regards
  12. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    Daniel, if we could paint for 8 hours a day, we might get 20 figures painted in a week, too! Hey, I know there are quick painters out there, and good for them. I do this because I enjoy it, and because it is my stress reducer. I'll be devoting more time over the next 9-10 weeks, getting ready for MFCA, but I still have work and life to deal with!
  13. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Lol, true, and family,work and so an so.
    This is also my stress therapy and retreat, i really enjoy it,sometime i get very mental about if it is the right color but other than than, i love this hobby.
    Cheers
  14. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Very well done Daniel, I think this scale is much more attractive painted using high contrast. I love how you painted this minis, really.
    I love those whites.(y)
    If you allow me a tip, work the same contrast in the crimson facings.

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
  15. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Thanks for such kind words Eduardo, i am planning to go with a higg contrast on the crimson, the problem is that is a very tiny surface to work on and really hard to get the desired effect.
    I have actually finishidedthe lapels and cuff today and i am satisfied with the result.
    saludos
  16. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
  17. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I wouldn't try to go too much deeper than you are now. With the numbers of figs you're talking about in one area, you'll actually lose the main colours if you try to jam in too much... It becomes too jumbled and busy and hard on the eyes. You want to make the main coat and facing colours obvious in the crowd and at a distance.
    At this scale remember... KISS... Keep It Simple Sunshine

Of course this is only my opinion ;)
    Colin
  18. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    And i appreciate your input Colin, always welcome.
    I just need to do some "blending" on the coat, add details on the seams of it.
    Next step is finishing the gaiters , adding more "wear and tear" to the hats and finish the faces.
    Best regards
  19. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    MarquisMini likes this.
  20. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I think they look great mate, (y)
    MarquisMini likes this.