1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Mounted Rus Viking

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by zane666, Sep 25, 2014.

1. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Here is the start of a new project, I was hoping to get the base finished before I listed this, but i'm waiting on some Model Scene leaves and some Scale 75 Dogs.
    All comments and criticism most welcome as this isn't my era of expertise. Since these photos were taken I have started painting the horse in oils. When it comes to painting the figure I was thinking of cyan/teal jacket and hat, burgandy paints with maybe a light coloured stripe and a burnt orange cloak (for all you viking experts let me know if these colours aren't possible). The funny thing is I believe that this viking by Carl Reid for Frank Miniatures was very popular but, I couldn't find completed one at all on the net so if anyone wants to post their viking so I could get some colour ideas on this thread.

regards Zane
    ps. my photography skills are quite up to scratch

Attached Files:

2. Graham A Fixture

England
    Can't help with the technicalities but the composition of the diorama is very powerful. You can almost hear the hoof beats pounding past the tree, very good dynamics.
    zane666 and ChaosCossack like this.
  3. Edward A Fixture

England
    Looks great so far Zane! I have this figure too but I haven't started it yet. Here's an Angus McBride illustration from an Osprey book..

Attached Files:

Wings5797, zane666 and taff edwards like this.
  4. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Zane
    Looking really great , love the movement the position of the rider and horse ,wil be following this with interest
    Cheers Chris
    zane666 likes this.
  5. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    The figure and the tree fit together very well. Great idea and I will keep it in mind for my version. It is still laying here :sorry:
    zane666 likes this.
  6. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Thanks Graham, I want to incorporate the dogs to give a kind of hunting theme, not sure if you go hunting with a shield though, can't find anything yet to disprove it.

regards Zane
  7. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Thanks Edward, seems the reason I haven't seen many completed is because they are probably in everyones grey army, cheers for the illus, I did find this on the web but not as clear.

regards Zane
  8. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Thankyou Chris, I've got the rider just coming onto the base and will have a couple of hunting dogs just leaving the base, then I have got all the autumn leaves to scatter with some being kicked up by the horse, all to give the feel of movement.

regards Zane
  9. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Thanks Ulrich, as I was saying to Edward everyone seems to have one in there grey army.

regards Zane
  10. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Can't wait to see this one come together, Zane. It already looks very dramatic.
    zane666 likes this.
  11. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Thanks Nick, the only thing I didn't think ahead for was the transportation of this to club meetings or shows.

regards Zane
    NickM likes this.
  12. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Excellent start Zane, I will follow this work closely.

Xenofon
    zane666 likes this.
  13. Ferris A Fixture

Really like your composition Zane. The over-arching tree is a great idea.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    zane666 likes this.
  14. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A nice bit of imagination there with the horse appearing to be riding on to the base ,this should be an eye catcher when completed (y)

Ron
    zane666 likes this.
  15. Helm A Fixture

England
    Superbly based this, really like what you've done so far (y) I've one of these in the GA and you've certainly started me thinking about a base........... Mr Tamburrini a word in your ear [IMG]
    Steve
    zane666 likes this.
  16. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Which Ear :D
    zane666 and Helm like this.
  17. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Have this one half finished as well Zane, like the composition.

Cheers David
    zane666 likes this.
  18. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Thankyou Xenofon, should have the horse finished in the nex few days.

regards Zane
  19. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Thanks Adrian, the over hanging branch was a bit of a fluke, but worked out well as now it looks like the rider is ducking under it.

regards Zane
  20. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Thankyou Ron, I'm hoping it will go according to plan

regards Zane