1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Mitches Iron Brigade Officer bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Gellso, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    All but completed.
    I quite enjoyed doing this fella. First ACW for me.

See what you think,
    Gells

Attached Files:

malc, Trex, Jeff T and 20 others like this.
  2. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Very nicely done Grant. I particularly like how you've handled the blues, the notoriously difficult fair hair and the leathers.
    I think you could have pushed the shading on the flesh a bit more and deepened the shadow under the ears and jawline.
    The whiteness of the teeth draw my eye a bit too much, might be an effect of the lighting on the photo.
    Overall a great job in jig time too (y)
    Cheers
    Derek
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Good work Grant.
    The uniform colours look really fine.
    As with Del, the teeth in the pictures look very nicely bleached.......Maybe just the photo.
    All the very best,
    Keith
  4. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Great work Grant, I especially like the leather work(y)
    Regards,
    John
  5. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    great work, I to like the leather work, just the right amount of shine(y)

regards Zane
  6. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Have to agree with Del about adding just a bit more shadow to the jaw line. Also could use some shadow around the sleeve where it meets the gauntlet so that it looks like its in the gauntlet. Hope that makes sense. In any case Grant, you did a marvelous job on this Yankee (y)!

Joe
  7. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Great to meet you at Euro grant, nice work.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Grant,

Very nice blues on the uniform its good to see you have sorted the rank badges out , I agree with the comments about the flesh work but must admit I like the way the hair has turned out.

I would push the highs on the sash a little more

Like the leatherwork good sheen to it as sane has said just right

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  9. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    I'll shade more on the jaw line, ears and the sleeve at the gauntlet.

The photos aren't the best and it doesn't show up lot of the tones shading. The teeth have been washed with burnt umber to tone them down so are less bright than the WIP shots but they do show up as being Hollywood veneers in the photos.

It was great to meet you to Graham, hopefully have more time to chat with you next time.

Cheers,

Grant
    offo and napoleonpeart like this.
  10. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very beautiful and neat work. I like it a lot.

Xenofon
  11. lopee Active Member

Czech-Republic
    Great work. I especially like the hand with gun - it's perfect both gun and 'white' glove.
    Cheers,
    Martin
  12. swralph A Fixture

Very nicely painted.
  13. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Very nice work Grant , can see a lot of improvement on this one .To add to the above comments I think you could tone down the gold on the sword hilt a touch.

Cheers Davie
  14. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi David,
    Will do mate.
    I ran some dark brown oil wash over it but youre right it still looks a bit strident as does the blade.
    Will work on this also.

Cheers for that,

Grant
  15. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice indeed well done keep it up.

Ian
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent paintwork.

Marc
  17. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
  18. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Grant.....stand out for me is the leathers (y)....other than already mentioned....I would darken the pistol...very few of that model were bright metal.....mostly all were 'blued'

Cheers

Ron
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  19. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Ron, and everyone for the advice and comments.

ThanksRon, I was unsure about the pistol. During my meticulous research;) I did see some on American pawn stars that were shiny but I guess they were reproductions.

Gells
  20. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Great work Gells.......The blond hair makes it plus the excellent leather work....Sorry Ron,not sure they were all blued,..I can't imagine a gun maker during the ACW putting looks over function.However being a used to be gun collector myself I would say a light wash of your favorite black would serve comfort for most gun buffs;..also bring out some details...............Anyway...one helluva nice job......Regards.........Wayne.........
    ....Just an after thought....Did you replace the resin sword blade with metal?......Another after thought..some guns were blued or browned with an acid process that help protect the metal from rusting......................Oh well...sunday night........and time for the geezer to go to bed...:)