1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Mike's Nasty Gnome

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mike - The Kiwi, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    I appreciate this sort of subject ain't for everyone, however just finished this little Rackham fellow and found it very liberating, no historical constraints just focusing on the painting.

Amazing detail on these little guys, he's only tiny measuring just over 20mm in height from head to toe.

Will be interested to see what you think...

Kind regards,

Mike

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thats really well done Mike! Love the eye and the yellow/black warning 'stripe' stuff.

How are you planning on mounting the guy? Some kind of ground work or something?
  3. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I can't even imagine the type of magification you need to paint a mini with that much detail
  4. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Wow that looks impressive !
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very good work Mike.
    Something different then your usual stuff. But you did a good job on this.

Marc
  6. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice little figure Mike, lots of detailed paint work for such a small figure, great job
    Cheers
    Tommi
  7. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Another guy with rackham figures. Great. I like the texture on the head very much. I think you have paint it free-hand or....??? And the different brown colours and painting of the coat ... wow. You have done a very good paintjob.

But I am interested too to hear the answer if you have planed a special groundwork

Ulrich
  8. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mike, pure fun here! Love the details you achieved. The yellow and black "warning" stripe, the small gauge on the gun, the great aqua "glow" in the eye with the scope on it, the spoty flesh on his head. VERY fun piece!

Jay H.
    OKC
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent painting Mike. I too like an occasional fantasy figure where no references are needed......just pure imagination.
  10. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Mike, I second what everyone else has said, well done my friend.
    Thanks for posting.

Cheers
    Roc
  11. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Nasty Gnome finished photos

Hi guys,

Man thanks for the feedback, glad you like this little guy, specific responses:

Anders and Ulrich, appreciate comments on the details, nothing spectacular on the base sorry guys, just a simple rocky outcrop for now carved out of putty. I have another 7 larger Orcs in this set I wanted to keep my options open as I may look at pairing him with one of the others later. I have though experiemented with mounting this base and figure in a display made from a thing called a dorich - it is the end of a curtain rod believe it or not. Cast iron with a lacquered licorice black and gold fleck coating. Inexpensive and just the right size, see the small photo below - the wooden base was just for the photo shoot.

Ulrich, all freehand, pattern on scalp is supposed to represent some sort of scalp design perhaps tiny quills. Also added scaly texture with paint to hands and exposed right arm. Larger photos may help pick this up.

Matt, Marc, Costas, Tommi, Guy and Roc, grateful for the kind comments have uploaded some final shots I took this morning. Bit larger so you can see the detail, hard to appreciate it when you see the kit in the bare metal or it's tiny finished form e.g. the photo with the base below is still larger than the overall figure. Yep Matt, magnifiers really help, so used the zoom lens to help give you a better impression. What do all reckon?

Jay, hey great eye for the detail ;-) Lots of little touches on these fellows. All the minis I see seem to crave the extra bits, a couple you may have missed - White Phos grenade in the "hazardous goods"carry box and a red handled pair of pliers for demolition, my favourite tool in my own toolbox - couldn't resist. Great fun alright :)

Take care,

Mike

P.S. Apologies for photo load time, hope it is worth the wait.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  12. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Mike,
    Great stuff for such a small figure. It must drive you "bonkers" in such small scale.:D
    Cheers
    John
  13. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Not at all Jim, good head magnifiers help heap ;-) He was a pleasure and much needed relief from the bigger ones I normally do, an opportunity to test out colour and detail painting, not too mention the sense of accomplishment from a quick project.

Appreciate your nice comment.

Mike
  14. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Wow Mike. This is different from the usual. :) You can't put this on MedRom, eh? :D

Nice job on the little guy. I especially like the subtly striped pants and the box with the warning strip.

Yeah, sometime it's nice to do something that has complete freedom (and where you can go a little crazy with the colors if you want). :)
  15. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Yep a little Crazy Wendy ;-)

Actually I've just started on one of his companions as ugly, fearsome orc and have lots of ideas for him from a camo tee shirt to an cow skin cloak, will have to see how it all turns out.

Oh yeah and I'm just preparing a medieval Swiss Captain for painting so I haven't totally lost it.

Thanks,

Mike
  16. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    More then a year late, but still looking good :D

So you ventured to the Dark Side as well eh :p it is mind relaxing ain't it :D

Keep safe..........

Ray ;)
  17. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Mike,
    A great fun piece and really well done.
    Cheers
    John
  18. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Mike,Great to see this wee guy here.I was privileged to see this great piece of painting at the NZ I.P.M.S Nationals & Scale Model Expo in September.If you think this wee guy looks great in the photos,he looks twice as good in the flesh.That little green eye is stunning , it looks like it follows you:eek:

Regards,John:)