1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Mike's Aussie Bren Gunner From Andy 2

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mike - The Kiwi, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    john din, NickM, jakbwrhr and 9 others like this.
  2. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    That weathering/mottling on the back of his shirt is outstanding, very down and dirty and looks realistic. Love how this one is coming along
    Ben
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  3. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Definately coming along nicely
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    Speaking from personal exprience in Belize you could increase the sweat staining around the armpits even more if you wanted to without it being exaggerated and along the back but it looks great as is.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Mike,

Coming along beautifully mate. The face is stunning

If I may, I'd suggest you consider darkening the sweat stains around the rim of the slouch hat.

Also consider that the shirt was originally khaki in colour, faded after wear in the North African desert, and then died green prior to embarkation for the tropics.

The colour of the shirt will be a combination of pale khaki, green, sweat and dirt. The webbing too will be pretty bashed up and dirty.

Sweat stains under the armpits and down the front and back would help too.
  6. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Love the color of the hat!
  7. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Nice start Mike!

Pedro
  8. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks mate!
    Good to hear "you're getting it" thanks Ben, will continue to blend, weather & mottle with this one over coming weeks.
    It has to be done by end of month, so it's ready for Brisbane.

More again soon.

Mike
  9. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Glad that has come through OK Kreston. Colour is basically Vallejo English Uniform as per John Belcher's beautiful Chindit but from a couple of years back.
    Thanks for taking time to comment.
    I have one of my old slouch hats, it is made of pressed felt, so tried to get same effect & similiar toning with addition of shed loads of dried mud & sweat.

Stay safe,

Mike
  10. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Pedro & Ken for sharing your thoughts, encouragement like this keeps you plodding along.
    Stay safe,
    Mike
  11. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Beaut advice & appreciate your experience here Steve, that is the sort of effect I'm trying to get.
    Challenge is determining correct paint tones to get this effect without turning it into a black shirt.

Hope to have more progress to share in coming weeks, with aim to capture 'sweating' better.

Appreciate your help,

Mike
  12. Helm A Fixture

England
    TBH Black shirt might not be that far from the truth
  13. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    This is invaluable information thanks Tony!
    Wasn't aware their clothing were reused from desert, but can certainly understand that as Kiwis did similiar thing.
    I am using a range of greens, light khaki (Vallejo Ochre) as well as Raw Umber (Jo Sonja) & black as part of mixes for this.
    Aim to get most extreme highlights right through to heavily sweat stained areas, so sound like you think I'm on track.

Ref webbing, have some good photos from recent militaria shows here with tan, green & blackened examples, so will look at doing a bit of a mix & match job on this too.

More to come so will bump up colour tones on sweaty areas as part of this.

Stay safe,

Mike
  14. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Know what you mean mate, but feel for purposes of bust important to get obvious greenish\khaki tones in.
    Will have to see how it works out.
  15. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Mike,
    The bust is coming along nicely.Weathering looks great so far.I like the level of your camera lense just below eye level,which adds a lot more to the story.Keeps the veiwer in touch .
    Look forward to more.
    Andy
  16. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks for follow up Andy. Made a bit of mess since photos as I've tried to rework sweating & dirt unsuccessfully.
    Will continue to tidy up again tonight.
  17. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  18. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Mike,
    I like the vivid flesh tones contrasting with the grimy green.You really are bringing him to life.I noticed the freckly or stained chest on him too.The more you look with your painting the more you see.
    Andy
  19. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent progress Mike, looks suitably grubby.
    Carl.(y)
  20. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hey thank you again Eduardo, still working through his hat & shirt which isn't quite there yet.

Mike