1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

mess dress

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by john crawford, Jun 1, 2017.

1. john crawford Active Member

Saturday evening , chap on door ,,,my mess dress medals from wellington barracks,
    not bad , considering it took 8 months to get them
    IMG_0923.JPG
  2. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    John,
    Wear them with pride. I am in the process of getting my fathers WWII medals put together as my father never put them together?
    Cheers
    John
    peedee likes this.
  3. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Yes,..You're right John...probably a lot of fathers had a problem putting things together after they came back. My father(Marines) came back with shell shock from Guadalcanal and never spoke one word about the war my whole life growing up; and I never asked....... What would I ask?

Wayne
    peedee likes this.
  4. john crawford Active Member

John
    I truly hope you wear them one day , in memory of your father

Wayne
    He came back my friend , albeit shell shocked , but jeezo that's not a surprise , any soldier who came through that episode in history
    my kind regards to you and yours
    john
    peedee likes this.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    My last one arrived in the post after I'd left the RN and I had to get them mounted at Catterick Garrison, funnily enough they'd never seen a Royal Navy Long Service Medal before. :LOL:

IMG_4918.JPG
    martin tabony and peedee like this.
  6. john crawford Active Member

QGM , very impressive m8 , well done
    peedee likes this.
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    God no! Queens Golden Jubilee Medal John, very similar ribbon though.
    peedee and napoleonpeart like this.
  8. john crawford Active Member

they are indeed , thought I was in company of heroes .....:whistle:
    but
    I still say well done m8
    peedee and billyturnip like this.
  9. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi John nice to see your set.

May I ask you something?

I have read recently that the Nato medal in your case carrying the Kosovo title, was not to be worn on your uniform on parade after 2003!

Could you cast any light on this please.

Paul.
  10. john crawford Active Member

Hi Paul , as far as I am aware that this is an aricle 5 issue and came into effect 2005 and was intended for The medal not to be issued with a bar , or worn , this I think was because they thought they would only give out limited numbers and for 1 tour only , as you know it escalated , and multiple tours were deployed ,
    the medal was changed post 1998 and there is now 10 versions of the medal
    Some were told not to wear it whilst in service , although , we were never told and as far as I know my ASM incorporates this ,
    this article 5 law is changing all the time and there are no longer bars ,
    My medal was pre 1998 and was given as I was taking an advisory roll , im really not sure how the law stands at the moment , but mines has been on a number of years now and is staying as arcse , says nobody can tell you to take it off now , I do know the USA did strip it from wear , or replaced it
  11. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    My understanding was similar, in that you were not to wear these awards when a general sevice medal was issued.
    So they became a 'bottom drawer' souvenir for many lads, and what a shame that was.
    Sad in a way, but nice to see you have yours proudly
    'racked up' mate ;)

Paul.
  12. john crawford Active Member

I don't know if im right Paul , but if you done 3 tours for example , I think there was a numeral 3 in place of bar , USA was a star ,
    as I say mine was pre , and its staying :woot:
    cheers Paul