1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book MDP Wargriffon Miniatures 54mm 'Autumn, a Female Druid'

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Graham, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Graham A Fixture

England
    Autumn, a Female Druid, sculpted by Steve Buddle and painted by Charlie Kirkpatrick.

image.jpg

I first saw, and fell in love with, this figure from MDP (Model Display Products) at FigureWorld. As is often the case in my experience, I fell in love with it after I had blown my cash but finally, I have managed to get my act in gear and get one.

image.jpg

The two part figure comes in a ziplock bag which contains the main figure and the arm holding an orb topped staff. This is inside another ziplock bag which contains the 40mm round solid resin base which is moulded with a part circle of large of paving stones bordered by smaller block stone pattern. This is a much welcome change from the slot base that comes with many smaller figures. There is also a folded paper liner showing the figure painted on one side and an attractive plain background on the other.

The figure is cast in grey resin with little clean up required. There is a seam line one the rear right of the beautifully flowing robe but nothing a couple swipes with a sharpe blade won't sort out. There is also a bit of that 'papery' flash around the staff and in a few places on the body but again, it is not a problem to remove.

This is a well sculpted and moulded figure with some nice fine detail in the clothes, and yes, she is fully clothed for once. For a 54mm (she actually measures 53.4mm from the sole of her foot to the top of her head) I have to say that the detailing looks very nice. The hair is long and flowing, in the 'spaghetti' style, which I think actually looks good on the figure.

Before I leave you with the pictures, including some close ups of the nice detail, remember this is a 54mm figure, the orb finely set on the top of the staff is just slightly over 3mm.

This is a great range of figures and the service from MDP is very good, I was impressed by the figures on the stand at FW in various scales as well as a fine range of other products. Their extensive website is at:-

http://www.modeldisplayproducts.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Nice review Graham ...but boy is that small, cracking sculpt and box art......

Is this on your bench?

Nap
  3. Graham A Fixture

England
    Cheers, It is certainly is Nap, as I said above, I fell in love with it at FW. Had to get it :)

Quite large compared to the 32mm I have done but dwarfed by the Andrea '54mm' that I have which is 65mm tall! No sense to the scales lol. There really are some nice figures in this range and I have my eye on an Elf archer at 90mm...... It's all go lol
    captnenglish likes this.
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I really like their figures.
  5. swralph A Fixture

Great review Graham of a nice looking figure.I do have to say that base looks a piece of crap.
  6. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the review Graham! All reviews are helpful. Now if you could bang on another 100mm, it might have some legs for me to run with, although I have to admit that face is a little odd!.. the jaw line and lips seem, a little squiffy! :D The body work has nice movement. Suffice to say this is not for me at this scale.:LOL:

Mark
  7. Graham A Fixture

England
    I think the face looks odd because of the extreme close up Mark. She is quite 'angular' in appearance but in the flesh she looks good :)

I think the base is OK, better than a slot base by far, it has potential :)

Thanks for the comments guys.
  8. War Griffon Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Wonder what you would say if it didn't come with a base at all?
  9. Graham A Fixture

England
    Each to their own and all that but if it looks piece of crap, then it is my photo that does that. It is a nicely moulded and very usable base that is loads better than a plain slot base and streets ahead of nothing.
    Tubby-Nuts2 likes this.
  10. swralph A Fixture

I'd say. will the kit be cheaper without the base?