1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP McCudden VC to Ball VC ...too many pilots.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nap, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

These 2 busts from Hawk Miniatures are currently on my bench ...well you can't beat a bit of these so brave WW1 pilots

After all the fancy stuff of Dupin...something simpler ..or is it???

McCudden had his ribbons removed and detailed up ...more will come out during painting , also added the other collar badge which was missing .

Update ..McCudden ..all based up and primed , Ball being prepped up ready

McCudden

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Ball ( Posthumous VC )

image.jpeg image.jpeg this is from website

Keep watching folks

Nap
  2. mick3272 A Fixture

Looking forward to following these two.
    Mick
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    They both look very good Kevin.
    It will great to see how you present them Mate.
    Cheers
    Keith
  4. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Those look great but I think the second one is Ball and not Hawker.
  5. Nap Moderator

England

You are right ...I will get it changed hopefully by our wonderful Moderators ......I also have Hawker flying around my bench !

Nap
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Following this one Kev, good subject
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Thought I would add some pics of these flyers and medals !

Firstly James McCudden , the jacket which is in the IWM is a maternity pattern which is what Ball is also wearing , MCCudden has been sculpted in his device dress apfor the VC award .

image.jpeg

Now in action

image.jpeg

Onto Albert Ball

The picture the sculpt was based on

image.jpeg

His plane

image.jpeg

The VC which they both won( Alberts was presented by the King to his parents after his death)

image.jpeg

Now the medal groups

James McCudden

image.jpeg

Albert Ball's

image.jpeg

HEROES ALL

Nap
    elanlane13 and Redcap like this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Just a quick picture of the base coating of McCudden , the other is just primed in black from GW at the moment

Nap

WIP.jpg
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Looking very good Kevin.
    Those eyes are very convincing.
    I like this duo and will enjoy watching them take shape.
    All the best
    Keith
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Keith,

Good to have you with me hope all is well , now base coated Albert Ball , going for different variations of the uniform and headwear colour on both .

I am painting using some brushes I recently got from Hawk Miniatures, Kolinsky and very good value and quality so worth a look at .

What I really like is the research I have been doing into these pilots , amazing , giving so much at such a young age , we owe all so much .

Nap
    Wings5797 and elanlane13 like this.
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Kevin,
    All is well with us thank you. I trust that you are both fighting fit too?

It's good to see that you are so enjoying this pair Kevin and I am interested in the changes you are making.
    Thanks for the heads up on the Hawk brushes. I have ordered a set to collect when I am in the UK.
    All the very best,
    Keith
  12. Hawk_Uk PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kevin,

Glad you like these busts, the James McCudden bust was our first ever release, and he is a local lad to us as his family were Royal Engineers whose museum has the family medals including James in their collection. And the inspiration for the bust came from a BBC Time Watch special (WW1: Aces Falling) that I had seen on James McCudden and Mick Mannock the two top scoring British Aces of World War One. The planes these pilots flew were little more that canvased cover lawnmowers, so not only were the brave enough to fly them they would then engage in air to air battles.

We have 6 busts in the Pilot range; James McCudden VC, Mick Mannock VC, Leona Hawker VC, Albert Ball VC, Billy Bishop VC and Cecil Lewis MC.

Thanks for the feed back on the brushes glad you like them your recent order was dispatch yesterday so should be with you soon. Also we will have more news regarding our brushes coming soon.

Regards
    Wings5797 likes this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi John,

Good to have you on the thread , I have had these 2 since they were released kept looking at them ...then a burst of mist came over me and they are on the bench !

Looking forward to the less colourful painting after all the lacework on Dupin!

I also like the Billy Bshop bust as well I think Cecil Lewis was something to do with maybe a pupil at the school where Figureworld is held at Oundle ..nice bronze bust on display there !

Looking forward to seeing the other brushes ...the last order was almost here as soon as I paid!

Keith,

Good to hear you are well , not sure about fighting fit , good looking ..yes ...lol , you will enjoy using those brushes mate

Stay tuned

Thanks for looking in

Nap
    Wings5797 and Hawk_Uk like this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Just a update picture of Albert ...blue eyes and dark (black) hair ...eyes and base coating complete

Ball Wip.jpg

Just as a matter of interest here's some pics of the wings brevet

aa.jpg aaa.jpg
    a.jpg

More to follow soon!!

Nap
    Martin64 and Wings5797 like this.
  15. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking good.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Well I am at Jimbo's house having a painting day ...mentioned that I thought the medals and wings on Albert looked a little small IMO ....went for a coffee and Jimbo attacked it with a dremel ...the result

image.jpeg

So guess who will be redoing the medals .....

This is the culprit ...turn away if you have a medical condition ..it's scary

image.jpeg

Nap

PS I wasn't too keen on the overhanging medals ....watch this post !
    Wings5797 likes this.
  17. Oda A Fixture

Great work, you are quite prolific and your work remains consistently very good.An admirable quality.

Oda.
  18. mick3272 A Fixture

Just goes to prove, DON'T leave your git laying about.
    Mick
  19. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

He is better looking than you Kev, anyway some nice painting going on.(any biscuits left)
    Jimbo and napoleonpeart like this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Bob,

I presume you mean Albert is looking better ..and no biscuits left ..didn't get a look in

Off to paint

Nap