1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Maurice Corry 200mm Fallschirmjaeger box-art WIP

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gothicgeek, Nov 18, 2010.

1. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi all!

My next piece is MCMiniatures superb 200mm figure of a German para in Crete 1941.

It's a big kit cast in a light yellow and quite hard resin. Some minor pin holes on some of the pieces and some substantial casting blocks on the two body parts..

here's a picture of the kit straight from the bags

[IMG]

So I got 90% of it cleaned up, washed and dried, then under-coated with a cheap auto primer from " Poundland " ... Smelly and dries with a distinct sheen that does not affect paint adhesion but at a quid a tin I'm using it all the time now :)

I decided to pin the figure for now so here he is in primer and sans any glue ...

[IMG]

Rather predictably the head gets the first paint :)

AV Red Leather as an undercoat
    AV Sunny Skintone as a mid
    AV Basic Skintone as a highlight

Worked over the face With the base colours and added AV Dark Prussian Blue, GW Blood Red and AV Light Flesh to the mix.... Eyes are done with the addition of AV Black and AV Burnt umber to the palette ....

I want to slightly ramp up the highlights around the eyes, nose and mouth but just a little. Then soften the cheek area and add some very light stubble...

[IMG]

As always please feel free to Comment, Crit or Correct :)

Now what pattern will that bone-sack be for Crete 1941 ?

:)

The Goth who is Geek ;)

Attached Files:

flart1943, Tommi, Steve and 4 others like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Cracking skin tones Mark. I don't know if you've got to that stage yet, but don't you normally put a touch of red wash in the corners of the eyes. To simulate the capillaries and tear ducts?
    Great start all the same,
    Carl.
  3. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Mark!

Nice start Mark.(y)
    I will follow with big interest.:)
  4. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    What a kit. And what a master.

Maurice is very, very fluent when he conveys a mood through the subject's body languages, and the folds here are quite fine.

For some time now, I have noticed a pattern in Maurice's face sculpts across scales and therefore developed a weird interest in watching how various painters render faces of his figures with various emphasis. Mark's style here appears to be very rewarding thus far. Will follow closely.
  5. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Nice start Mark - great 12O'clock shad.;)
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    "Now what pattern will that bone-sack be for Crete 1941 ?"
    According to Osprey, painting Fallschirmjaeger it would be plain, olive grey 888, grey green 866 and sunny skin tone 845.
    I don't know if that helps Mark?
    Carl.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looking really good.
    Folow this with great interest.

marc
  8. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Nice one Mark, like the slightly pale look you've adopted for this one.
    Looking through the old Purnell's History of the Second World War issues on the Crete invasion, there are no photos of Fallschirmjager wearing camo smocks - they're all in grey-green, so I'd say Carl's info is the one to go with.

Cheers,
    Chris(y)
  9. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Looks great so far Marc. Some extreme lights would bring the best out of it IMO.
    rheath likes this.
  10. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Correct - early war cam's were not issued yet for Falls smocks, I have the old Verlinden 1/16th figure which I want to do in these same colours, green grey & olive grey with flesh, I have already used these colours and they are spot on for German field grey colours.:D
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Heres an image for Crete. It looks just basic German field grey.
    Carl.

Attached Files:

12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice start Mark. I'm sure this will another classic.
  13. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice

Those eyes look phenomenal Mark.
    Great stuff.
  14. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Great work, Mark, he's coming along very nicely!
    Eddy
  15. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Mark.
    A nice figure, indeed!
    And your fresh tone is wonderful.
    Is it sprinter CAMO in this case?
    Anyway I'd like to follow your big project up with interest.

Mitsutaka
  16. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks to everyone who input on the Jump-smock info! I was sure it was that grey/green but it was mooted that other options were available :)

Anyway..

Carl ... Some more red added to the eyes, but trying for a less distressed look than my usual :)

Pedro ... Many thanks :)

Michael ... Cheers! :)

Rob ... Thanks :)

Marc ... Thanks again :)

Chris ... Many thanks ;)

Dimitrios ... Thanks for the input :)

Tony ... Thanks :)

Grant ... Cheers :)

Eddy ... Thanks again :)

Mitsutaka ... Many thanks and it's a plain grey/green smock! :)

Worked some more on the face, added a touch more colour to the cheeks and lower lip, Added some stubble and more blue to the jaw, hair is sorts there-ish ....

The hands need a bit more work to smooth out the transitions and sort out the veiny blue bits :)

Next will be the helmet, it's cover and the chin straps

:)

[IMG]
  17. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mark, nice work!

It looks to me that Maurice has based his figure on the well known photo showing Oberjager Karl Polzin after the attack on Eben Emael in May 1940. You could paint him up as an Eben Emael figure as there were no changes in uniform. Polzin went by glider in the Crete operation (Operation Merkur), and was accidently shot dead at a drunken party when they got back to Germany.

Cheers,
    Jon.

Attached Files:

18. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Mark,

If you're after a good book showing images of fallschirmjager in Crete, the best one is by Jean-Yves Nasse and published by Histoire & Collections. Although it is correct to assume that 99% of Fallschirmjager were wearing the olive green jump smock in Crete, photographs in this book show that the splinter version had been issued to 2./ Fallsch. San. Abt.7 (medical company).

Cheers,
    Jon.

Attached Files:

19. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mark great start as usual and looking forward to following.(y)

Cheers Ken
  20. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Great work so far Mark .

Cheers David