1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Marechal Lannes

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, May 29, 2015.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Took a couple of days to do modelling and had a surge of productivity. Here is my completed 1/6 portrait of Marechal Jean Lannes, Duc de Montebello. Sculpted in sculpey firm. He wears the same uniform as shown in Gerard's famous portrait including the Commanding General's baldrick. I decided to show him holding his bicorne as I really like sculpting and painting these hats.

He will be painted in oils as some point. I am in a sculpting mode at the moment so I may go on to my next project in clay.

Colin

P5292223.JPG
    P5292232.JPG P5292236.JPG P5292212.JPG P5292214.JPG P5292217.JPG P5292218.JPG P5292221.JPG P5292228.JPG P5292227.JPG P5292229.JPG P5292231.JPG P5292233.JPG P5292237.JPG
    Tonton, Osvald, arj and 24 others like this.
  2. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    Wow, lots of detail work there...nice job!
    Scott
    Osvald and crf like this.
  3. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    crf likes this.
  4. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    You get a lot of work done when you're ............ambitious!!o_O

Bob
    crf likes this.
  5. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Very cool, Colin. I'll be following this one(y)
    crf likes this.
  6. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    more great work Colin (y)
    crf likes this.
  7. jhonnsanchez Member

great work!(y)
    crf likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Colin,

That is brilliant , love all the medals and awards , fine details everywhere and what a great likeness ...

Lacework ...lovely work ...

Like he bicorn as well !

I have said it before but I and many others wish you were commercial ...would love to see that but for now you just enjoy doing what you are .....

We ALL are

Next project ?

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Perseas and crf like this.
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Kevin and all. Next up .... Considering Edouard de Colbert Chabannais (Lanciers Rouges). Or perhaps GFM von Kluge. Not sure.

I spotted some minor flaws on this guy that I need to iron out. I am not rushing into painting him as that is always my downfall....I need to discipline myself go go slow and oils should assist. I have also come to the conclusion that I like the "oil portrait" effect I can get on these large busts.

Colin
    Gaudin, napoleonpeart and Paul Kernan like this.
  10. Mark S Guest

Stunning piece Colin, well done.
    crf likes this.
  11. offo A Fixture

nice work Colin(y)
    crf and Perseas like this.
  12. Perseas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Another superb adittion to your French Marechals collection!
    As Nap said it would be perfect if it was commercial... I "envy" all of you who have the talent to create
    such masterpieces but talent isnt something that goes commercial and therefore i cant buy it, bad for me...
    Congratulations Colin!!! waiting to see him painted.
    crf likes this.
  13. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Very impressive work Colin!
    crf likes this.
  14. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    I am overwhelmed by the many crisp details this piece has to offer. Your sculpting mode payed off. :wideyed:(y)
    crf likes this.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Colin your sculpting is improving in leaps and bounds. Amazing detail and precision.
    crf likes this.
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Colin your sculpting is improving in leaps and bounds. Amazing detail and precision.
  17. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    I want to echo the praise for the detail given already but I'm very impressed in the crispness of the hand
    crf likes this.
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks for the feedback on Lannes. Would be interesting to know what this Marshal would have achieved had he not died of wounds received at Essling. First of the Marshals to die in action.

I tried something new on this piece that worked really well. After each component was done, I painted it with sculpey brand glaze. This massively increased the strength (particularly important for hair and bicorne feathers). After the piece was complete, I painted the whole piece in sculpey glaze. The glaze does not go tacky in the oven when baking subsequent additions of clay. It also seems to stop the softness that occurs with repeated bakings and it fills in small gaps and blemishes without obscuring details. I noticed that the undercoat is much smoother than normal due to the glaze.
  19. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    I'm gobsmacked, Colin, and I've seen quite a few of your sculpts now; this is your best yet. The precision of the embroidery and medal detail is stunning and you've captured the personality of Lannes beautifully. I am in awe...

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh!

Cheers,
    Brian
    crf likes this.
  20. Bournouna Active Member

United-States
    Beautiful sculpt of this bust Colin. Too bad it won't be available as a commercial figure or can we hope to the contrary?
    crf likes this.