1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Major General Romeo Dallaire UNAMIR 1994

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Aug 20, 2011.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is my almost complete 1/5 sculpt of Canadian Major General Romeo Dallaire, Force Commander for the United Nations Assistance Mission for Rwanda (UNAMIR) during the genocide in 1994. I showed the sculpt under the sculpting thread and there is a little more history/context there for anyone who is interested. The bust is in super sculpey firm. I will show the painting process here as I progress.

He still needs some sanding and the name tag and jump wings need completing.

Colin

Attached Files:

Edorta, dArtagnan, gordy and 3 others like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Superb Colin.
    Carl.(y)
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great sculpting.

marc
  4. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Superb Colin!

Excellent sculpt, dignified subject.

All the best,
    Jon.
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice Colin! (y)
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Started painting today in Liquitex artist acrylics. This is about 3 hours work. I will update as I work.

Colin

Attached Files:

7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Some more progress this weekend. Flesh is only just started. Beret is undercoated only, as is his hair.

Colin

Attached Files:

billyturnip likes this.
  8. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Great sculpt and you show great taste by sitting him on a Tim Hortons cup in the first photos.
    Jim
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Now that's an eagle eye as the logo isn 't even visible!

Gotta stay Canadian content when doing Canadian officers. ;)

Thanks Jim

Colin
  10. roadking Active Member

United-States
    I live on the stuff here in Buffalo!! I'd recognize the cup anywhere. Love your progress and look forward to seeing it completed.

Jim
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work Colin.
    Carl.
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I decided that the Liquitex wasn't working, so back to Vallejos I go....combined with citadel inks (yes I still have some). I am not sure about his skin tone - perhaps a little too red but then he was a Northern Canuck stuck in Africa for months. The beret has had a liitle work but is still way too dark. His eyes are a bit off too. Moving forward.

Colin

Attached Files:

Mike Stevens likes this.
  13. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Colin:

Great representation of a great Canadian. And BTW, Jim is a honorary Canuck(y)

Paul
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here's an update. Almost done. I still need to smooth out his shirt some. His medals need some more shading and the epaulette detail requires more shading/highlighting. The maple leaf on his shoulder flag needs doing (I hate painting maple leaves!!!) and I am in terror of his UN flash on the other shoulder. I may have a go at changing his skin tone a bit as it is possibly too pink.

He is painted in Vallejos, Citadel and Liquitex inks, WN oils for the epaulette detail. The base should be coming from Ken Thomas this week.

Colin

Attached Files:

Mike Stevens likes this.
  15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Superb Colin.(y) Couldn't you do a decal for those hard to paint places, then over paint them?
    Carl.
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Maybe Carl....but I prefer free hand. Its a false pride thing.

Colin
  17. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I know where you're coming from Colin.
    Lovely piece all the same,
    Carl.(y)
  18. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    great rendition Colin, I really like it (y)
    cheers!
  19. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Been watching this one with great interest for a long time and from one Canuck to another, a superb job Colin! This is one Canadian who definitely deserves a fitting tribute in miniature and you've nailed him. Given the great job on the epaulatte detail, I don't doubt the UN logo and Maple Leaf will be excellent as well (no pressure there...:)).

Any chance of seeing the completed work in the flesh at a local show here in Ont.? It's been a long time since I had my socks blown off by your scratchbuilt Napoleonics when I attended my first shows way back in the mid-90's (man, am I old !).

Thanks again for sharing this,

Cheers,

Brian
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Brian and Antonio for the kind comments. This is only my 2nd piece in 5 years but I definitely have the bug again....I am trying to decide what is next. All I can say is that its pretty scary when the bug goes and you're not sure its coming back. Five years makes it seem that its gone forever.

Brian - Are there shows in Ontario anymore? I was looking at OMSS's new website and it looks promising but no newsletter posted in June or Sept 2011 makes me a little worried its all show. Can you recommend any good shows - I'm totally out of touch.

I am tentatively planning MFCA for next year but who knows? Never been to a US show before. That gives me time to pull a few items together and because I have never attended a major show, I can use some of my past work and show it for the first time.

And if you think you are old.....?!?!?!

Colin