1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Mad Jack Churchill

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Nap, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

I am sure we all know that this hero carried a sword my question is :

How was it carried by him.......

ie was the scabbard pushed and held under the webbing belt perhaps?

All thoughts would be very welcome

Nap
  2. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kev,

Wikipedia site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill appears to have a direct reference to this. The Italy (1943) section states:- “In July 1943, as commanding officer, he led 2 Commandos from their landing site at Catania in Sicily with his trademark Scottish broadsword slung around his waist, a longbow and arrows around his neck and his bagpipes under his arm,[13] which he also did in the landings at Salerno.” But I also take all very specific wiki entries with a pinch of salt, until corroborated elsewhere.

There is also a photograph showing the man in a beach landing:-

captain-mad-jack-churchill-1.jpg

There appears to be what looks like a scabbard hanging on his left.

Hope this helps,
    Andrew
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Cheers Andrew,

I have that image , seen the scabbard but how do you think it was actually carried or just pushed through e belt ?

Thanks for input

Nap
  4. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kev,

The quote I gave you (for what it's worth) states "... slung around his waist ...", which tends to imply a belt of some sort, or attached to his webbing.
    I imagine that a scabbard shoved through his waist belt would be extremely uncomfortable, and probably make it more difficult to draw the weapon.
    Cheers,
    Andrew
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Andrew,

I agree about it being pushed through ..not safe to draw sword....there are no known pictures of the fittings so a belt wrapped round the scabbard and slung round is possible .....

Honestly you would have thought someone would have took a picture of Mad Jack wearing the sword!

Any other thoughts welcome

Nap
  6. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    For all its worth - there is this one.
    [IMG]
  7. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    And this one. Can see hilt over haversack. Google delivers if you ask nicely:D [IMG]
    [IMG]

I think you can see a ring on the scabbard but I cant see a belt
  8. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    And as a bonus - both Churchill's - what an awesome picture

[IMG]
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Gaudin

You are a Star My friend heavan knows where the 1st came from ...he is wearing a Sam Browne perhaps something similar in webbing ?y

Nap
  10. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have my moments ...:D Hope it helps.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England

You do indeed ...what's your opinion on how the sword scabbard was held in place under the haversack ?...any chance of an artistic drawing?

Nap
  12. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    To me it seems that there is something custom made, that worked for him. Like a leather reinforced loop on inside of a bag. Or may be something like this sword frog.[IMG]
    napoleonpeart likes this.