1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Lucky Jack

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tecumsea, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I started this bust on Saturday 20 hours later this is where I am. It is for a friends Birthday present he and I share the same birth date, unluckily for him he is 70 next week and I'm still a tender 64;)
    He has read all of the Aubrey series and so this seemed an appropriate gift for a special birthday, pity the likeness is Crow and not Aubrey himself

I am away over the weekend and so only have a few hours left before I put it together and a slight opportunity on Monday night to make some adjustments, and helpful suggestions would be very welcome.

The face is a bit yellow? and I wondered about some washes to darken it slightly? I'm always frightened at this stage to start experimenting too much, particularly as if it goes wrong I have no time to start again.

The Gold work needs some work, I used printers ink followed with a wash of Liquitex Burnt Umber ink, something I have never used before, It has faded it down too much and so I will have to redo the gold highlights.

Lucky Jack WIP 006.jpg Lucky Jack WIP 002.jpg Lucky Jack WIP 003.jpg Lucky Jack WIP 004.jpg Lucky Jack WIP 005.jpg
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very good work. This would be indeed a nice birthday present.

marc
  3. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Quite superb!
  4. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Keith - That's a cracking start on one of my very favourite busts. The blue looks spot on and I like the dull finish you have achieved with this notoriously difficult oil colour to matt down.

Look forward to seeing the end result - great stuff!

Cheers mate.
    Gary
  5. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Don't know about the gold being to bright generally epaulettes were of brass wire I believe
    so would not be that bright anyway, but if i am wrong ,sure someone will shout
  6. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Keith, what a great birthday present , excellent work on the blue jacket and the waistcoat area and looking forward to seeing it completed.

Cheers Ken
  7. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think you have done a cracking job Keith, I really like the way you have done the blue on his jacket, the highlights are just right.

Its hard to tell with the face, it always looks different when detached from the other colours of the bust/figure, maybe once assembled you will have a better idea if its ok or not.

Steve
  8. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    keith
    fleshtones look spot on to me! stunning job, cant wait to see it in the flesh (resin?!)
    steve
  9. marius'mules New Member

United-States
    You've done an excellent job of highlighting/shading the blue coat. The flesh tones look very good also---excellent job on the eyes.

What company makes this bust? I've seen several other threads about this bust and the more I see it the more I would like to try a crack at painting one myself.
  10. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith,
    Ditto on the remrks about the jacket, the blues look great as does the whites of the shirt.
    It's hard to say if the face is too yellow as the pictures are never a true tone I find.
    Put it on the body with his hat and see if it goes is my opinion.
  11. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thanks everyone for their comments, sorry for the delay in responding as we have been away for a few days. I'll assemble it tonight and then we are off tomorrow for the party.

In response to your question Steve (Marius Mules) the bust is a classic by Young miniatures.

Keith
  12. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have done this one also, but felt my jacket color was a bit light for for RN
    but it also was given away as a present so may do it again as it is a nice bust
    to do,like the way you are approaching the flesh tones.

Ronnie.T
  13. Russ5281 Member

United-States
    I think it all looks great, especially the jacket and braid.

Russ
  14. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I can't see anything wrong Keith. You managed to get the blue flat, that in it's selfs an achievment.
    I take it will be with its new owner before FW?
    Carl.