1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Lucky Jack

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Mar 22, 2010.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi all,just finished another bust from young miniatures,had this one from the wife at christmas,only just finished it due to work commitments,the bust is painted in my usual style with oils applied over acrylic / enamel undercoats with fishing touches using washes / inks,hope you like it all coments most welcome.:cool::cool:

Attached Files:

2. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Awesome painting Brian, i like a lot how you handled the flesh tones very original and cool for my taste, also the shadow and lights of the colours , strong but very lovely , they do a lot of character to the bust

cheers

stefano
  3. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi smudger1960
    I like bust very much. At first glance the skin tones look to dark, but after looking at it for a while you can see that the style suites the bust.
    Pete
  4. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brian, excellent painting , great skintones and I like what you've done with the base by using ship's rope. (y)

Cheers Ken
  5. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    That's a very dramatic painting you've done Brian!!! Weldone!!!!

Ray ;)
  6. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    From the last post I knew this is going to come out fantastic and it has. Congratulations!

A minor thing though. In places the variation in blue feels, er, not exactly unnaturalistic, but not rich enough. It appears (to me) that the lighter blue could itself have been varied into a few more layers irregularly here and there. I am referring specifically to the 3rd and the 4th pictures.

I hope I am not out of my depth to make such comments, because you are really, really good.
  7. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice, like your skin tones and the way you have done the blue on the jacket, nice transitions beteen the highlights and shadows(y)

Cheers
    Tommi
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    You've certainly given him a weather beaten sea dog look.
    Superb work on the jacket.
    Carl.
  9. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Nice nice work, I like the antique feel of the whole piece. congrats
  10. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    I have seen some very good renditions of this bust, Jason Green & David Mitchell, Tony and so on, yours ranks very highly as well, like the blues although the flesh tone high - highlights are strong this doesn't distract from the completed work.:cool:
  11. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nicely done Brian, i like the style of painting you have used as it makes it stand out from the rest, nice level of contrast also.
    It will give me some good guidance on painting my Russell Crowe face.

Steve(y)
  12. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Brian,

Perhaps the biggest compliment I can offer is to say that I have saved a set of your pictures for when mine comes out of the grey army. I like the fact that you have used a different approach with the Blue and the strong flesh tones and contrasts. The ruddy cheeks, strong tan and the stubble conjure up an image of the captain on deck face to the wind, etc, etc.... For me it all works well!
    Keith
  13. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    i'd like to thank all my fellow modelers for all their kind comments relating to my work past and present,i enjoyed painting the piece but if i have to be honest dark blue is not one of my favourite colours when painting,i would have liked a more darker finish to the frock coat,i'm striving each time to get my dark blue's better,i had a similar problem with the Gunther Prien figure i painted last year,although i recieved many kind and positive coments i did'nt achieve the darkness i was hoping for on that figure either,anyway many thanks once again,my next project will be a Andrea 90mm foot figure of Napoleon which i will be posting as WIP,not much dark blue to worry about here.
    Happy Modeling and Good Health,:cool::):cool:
  14. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice work Brian on very popular bust.

Cheers David
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Lucky Jak

Thanks Dave,its the first thing i've completed since xmas so its good to be back.
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Absolutely great painted bust.
    Like your skincolors.

Marc
  17. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great painted bust Brain!

regards,
    Marcel.
  18. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom