1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Life Miniatures Stalingrad

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by BigDaddy, Oct 26, 2013.

1. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States
    HeHere
    Here is a quick shot of my latest project- Life Miniatures Stalingrad 1942. I have been working on the face and have scratch-built the glasses. The kit's glasses seemed too heavy for my taste. I have made lenses for these out of .10" plastic, but the figure looks better without the lenses. From normal viewing distance you can't tell if there is lenses in the frames or not. The final rendering, the temples and bridge will be gold. This is consistent with glasses from that period and it adds some variety.

scratch-built the glasses. The kit's glasses seemed too heavy for my taste. I have made lenses for these out of .10" plastic, but the figure looks better without the lenses. From normal viewing distance you can't tell if there is lenses in the frames or not.

[IMG][IMG]
    Ventress, Tonton, yeo_64 and 16 others like this.
  2. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

I like it,those glasses look cool.
  3. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks nice!!!!
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Good job so far! Can you provide more detail on how you did his specs? I have a bust on my bucket list that I will need to add them to and I would be happy to do half as well you as you have.

Thanks

Colin
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very, very nice start.

Marc
  6. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the encouraging words...

The specs were made from multi strand copper wire- pulled from about a 12 gauge piece of electronic wire. It was one strand from inside the sheath- its about .010" in diameter- I shaped the lens portion by bending the wire around a plastic hole punch mandrel. Once I was happy with the size, I soldered the ends of the loops together. I then cut the temples from the same wire. I soldered the frame together with a small watt soldering iron an a lot of patience. I use a bit of Tamiya tape and temporarily taped the setup to the backside of a ceramic mixing dish that is flat. It kept the parts clean- if you use wood, you'll burn the wood. I used the kit parts as a guide.

Thanks, Matt
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Matt - great to have the info except I can't solder for anything.....so it's likely Duro for me when I get to that stage. Can't argue with your results though.

Colin
  8. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    Looking good-didn't take you long to get him started.
    Look forward to seeing your progression with him-
    Scott
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Matt - A suggestion for the lenses, if I may. Try single sheet acetate - you can buy clear in business or art stores or if you have any old developed but clear 35mm camera film negative. I'm thinking the thin clear acetate would look more in scale and be clear enough to not detract from the eyes, etc. I've used this in 1/16th scale figures for gas mask lenses and spectacle lenses.

All the best,
    Dan
  10. swralph A Fixture

looking good
  11. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States

Thanks Dan, I'll check that out

Matt
  12. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States