1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Life Miniatures "Sea Wolf"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bigmick, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Bigmick Active Member

United-Kingdom
    This is the Life Miniatures 1/10 scale resin bust of a WW2 U Boat captain, it's also a lesson in having the correct lighting to paint by and don't paint tired.
    The face was painted at Tankmod, the hall lighting was a mix of fluorescent tube and diffused daylight, so I used my white LED lamp, he looked ok till I got home and had a good look, much too pale, so late that night I decided to add some red black to tone down the highlights and darken the beard.
    I didn't notice that I'd put white and flesh in a previously used well in my round pallette, I was too lazy to get the wet pallette set up, that had previously held black, so the highlights looked ok till they dried light grey, now he looks ill, so more flesh, then highlights then red black.
    In daylight he looked too red, so I put him back in the box, he'll do for SMW but will get a repaint.
    Before.
    [IMG]

After.
    [IMG]

So let this be a lesson, don't fiddle, use proper lighting and don't futz with your paint when tired and under the influence of medication .

Regards.

Mick
    Aveleira, NickM, arj and 11 others like this.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great work Mick.
    Nice to see a hair colour on this piece away from the usual brown/black.
    Good on you, it has worked well for you.
    Keith
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Don't see the need for a re-paint really. Very nice work!

Adrian
  4. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I think you did a bang up job on this one! Well done sir (y)!

Joe
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    The eyes look piercing. Great work on the face too. No need for a re-paint
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Mick ,

Agree about the lighting where you were ......I do like the way that jacket has turned out , I would put a wash over the epaulettes as well .

You must have the patience of a saint with the shirt design......looked good when I saw it and does here .

Not happy with face ? possibly tone the red down a little but that's all IMO ..the eyes look good and he looks tired .

Have you put a wash over thse bino's then ..they look good as well .

Shame on you not getting the WP out !!

Nap
  7. Bigmick Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thank you for all your comments, repaint started today, removed all the paint from the face very carefully one brush stroke at a time with Mr Thinners, doing painting in daylight and slowly.
    Kev, I gave them a wash of black to tone the metal parts down, dots of flat earth and dark sand in high wear areas then used Vallejo satin varnish on the bins, dotted on in places where there was less wear, everything got a couple of coats of Windsor and Newton Matt varnish today apart from the bins so have to use satin varnish in the straps, cap visor, iron cross, buttons etc.

Mick.
  8. Bigmick Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Almost done, just got to do some work on the eyes and lighten the beard and eyebrows.
    [IMG]

Regards.

Mick.
    Ferris likes this.