1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Lieutenant of the British Battalion of the 15th International Brigade, 1937

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    This is number 3 and last of my figures related to the Spanish Civil War. This figure is based on the illustration of a Lieutenant of the British Battalion of the 15th International Brigade, 1937 as published in the Osprey Spanish Civil War – International Brigades in Spain 1936-1939.
    First, a little background...
    Wikipedia (excerpt): The XV International Brigade was a mixed brigade that fought for the Spanish Republic in the Spanish Civil War as a part of the International Brigades.
    Nicknamed Brigada Abraham Lincoln, it mustered at Albacete in Spain, in January 1937, comprising many English-speaking volunteers – arranged into a mostly British Battalion and a mostly North American Lincoln Battalion. It also included two non-English-speaking battalions, the Balkan Dimitrov Battalion and the Franco-Belgian Sixth February Battalion.

Description of the illustration from the Osprey book. “A representative example of typical company officer’s uniform in the field, throughout the International Brigades; this figure is partly based on a photo of Lt. Glyn Evans of No. 1 company of the British Bn. Khaki, brown or black berets were common, and a matter of personal taste; it was common for officers and senior NCOs to wear rank patches on headgear, and on the left breast. Leather zipper jackets”…with elastic knit cuffs… “…were popular with all ranks. Various breeches and trousers were worn, often with laced field boots; officers frequently wore the Spanish Army ‘Sam Browne’ style belt…”

The figure carries a Reedee’s Thompson SMG instead of the more common Spanish Astra pistol. The officer is sliding down some loose rock on a slope. If you recall, most of my recent figures have been anatomically robust weight-lifter types. I thought it would be interesting to try 'skinny'. This figure is intentionally about 115mm in height and skinny with long legs.

Sorry about the quality of the photos. When I get back from our vacation in France, we’ll see if my friend Pat Student can take some better ones.

Looking for a painter with an interest in collaborating on the completion of this figure. Drop me a PM if you might be.

All the best,

Dan

Attached Files: