1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Les Conseils de L'Ancien, young Poilu

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thought I'd show you WIP on the younger Poilu. Actually not sure I should call him that because he's too young for chin whiskers. :) I think I'll start calling him Junior.
    He's turned out quite a lot smaller than the other figure - as designed. The difference is apparent when they are side by side. And his clothing and equipment look quite large on him - again, as designed.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Some of the equipment is Model Cellar, some Verlinden and the head is from TLB.

Lots more to do on both of them. As always, your constructive critique and comments are invited and welcome.

All the best,
    Dan
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, I think the folds on his clothing are some of your best. My only comments regard the legs and feet. The positioning is really awkward. Is the figure being designed to fit groundwork already built?~Gary
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Gary - Many thanks! I think I'm gettin' the hang of folds and drapery a bit. With some sanding and smoothing, I'll get rid of the rough spots - there aren't many in this fella, I'm happy to report. The awkward stance is - as you guessed - to fit the ground. It's a little unusual. I may still have to adjust one leg to fit properly. I wanted him leaning or a little off balance - like he's paying rapt attention, leaning slightly toward the older soldier. Anyways...I hope it works.

Lots of things still to do on Junior.

Did I plump up his cheeks enough to make him look more youthful? The original head / face looked quite anxious and relatively young, but I wanted a little youthful look. If you have any other ideas how I can make him look younger - please let me know.

All the best,
    Dan
  4. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    You are getting better and better Dan,looking forward to see him fitted with the base.
    keep up
    christos
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Dear Chris,

Thanks very much! Your encouragement means a lot!

All the best,
    Dan
  6. Lieven Wynants New Member

Belgium
    hello Dan

why don't you make the coat a little bigger ,it is a small kid, and a bigger overcoat
    look's a lot more friendly and not agressive
    a laughing vignet
    just like the kids who are possing like they do when they are playing with dady's clothes

Dan i send you also a picture from a german with a overcoat with flaps

[IMG]

greeting lieven
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Good suggestion! I think I can do that easily and it will improve the figure. I don't want the vignette to become a caricature either, but I think I can "sell" the youthfulness of the younger soldier a little more.

As far as the illustration, I believe that's an Austrian, not a German. The helmet looks like it has a vent hole at the top and smooth curves on the bottom. More like a Berndorf helmet vs. a Stahlhelm. The collar tabs look a little like Austrian ones and the mess tin on top of the field equipment definitely doesn't look German. I looked through both volumes of Wooley, Rest and Other's The Emperor's Coat and Stephan Coil's book on AH uniforms for an overcoat with flaps like the ones shown. I found one AH KaiserJager who had the flaps of his "mantel" standard Austrian overcoat (don't know the year designation) pinned or buttoned back (couldn't tell which). The date on the pic is 1916. I can send it to you if you want to see it. I'm not saying the German infantry never pinned the flaps of their overcoats back, just that I can't find an authoritative photo reference showing it. Whereas I did find one photographed example of an Austrian infantryman wearing the coat like that. Neither the German [M1867, M1907, M1908, M1909, M1915] nor the Austrian overcoats appear to have the button holes like the French overcoats did.

All the best,
    Dan
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, The face looks okay to me. The look of youthfulness is easier when the figure has a smoother face. All those creases and line help to add age. As for the clothing, i think it's bulky enough. Though it's something you want to stand out you do not want to go and create a cartoon.~Gary
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Hmmm. Many thanks Gary! I bow to your wisdom and will press on to finish the figure vs. bulk up the coat. I think I will put a thin layer of putty on one place in the back - just to smooth out something that doesn't look right to me. Otherwise it's buckles and bits, field harness and this and that and I'm finished. I went back and tested the fit and footing in the groundwork and, he looks pretty firm there, leaning attentively like I wanted him to be. There's a fair bit of subtle stuff in this little vignette and I hope I can pull it all off.

Incidentally, I checked more references on the overcoat and uniform posted above and couldn't find anything to disagree with my ideas. Not one German overcoat with folded back bottom flaps in all my references. Again, I'm not saying the soldiers never did that, just that I can't find a reference. If someone has one - please speak up.

Here's a scan of the photo of the Austrian.
    [IMG]

All the best,
    Dan
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looking good Dan. I like the trouser folds.......your best to date.
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you, Guy! I appreciate the encouragement!

All the best,
    Dan
  12. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan,
    this guy seems to be coming along very nicely! Keep us posted!

Jay H.
    OKC
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Jay! I'll do just that! I appreciate the encouragement!

All the best,
    Dan