1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

leaves

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by pipetrepid, Aug 7, 2011.

1. pipetrepid Active Member

United-States
    hi, thought i saw miniature tree leaves somewhere for sale. now i can`t find them. anyone know who might sell them or any tips on making them? this is 54mm i`m working in and i`m looking to buy/make birch tree leaves. thanks for any help. bill
  2. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  4. elgreco A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  5. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    William-

A cheap alternative (my favorite kind) is to find a birch tree near your home. Grab a handful of the hanging seed pods, break them apart and voila!, you have ready made leaves. If you're looking for leaves to attach to branches to make your own trees, these won't help but they're perfect for scattering around on the base.

Mike
  6. Einion Well-Known Member

If you want to try making some there's an old-school method for producing generic leaves from paper; very simple and produces a fair number in a short time.

• Paint the paper both sides.
    • Cut into long narrow strips; the width will be a little less than the length of the finished leaves.
    • Now cut the strips into diamonds by cutting at a sharp angle. I've found scissors are the easy way to do this, it's just a pain to try doing it with a craft knife.
    • Score each leaf along the long axis with a dull blade, I use a pointed sculpting tool with the leaf laying in the palm of the opposite hand. This makes them curl up and form quite believable dry leaf shapes.
    • Glue each one down separately. I use PVA glue for this straight from the container, if you use anything with too much water in it the leaves get damp and they uncurl (this is if they're painted with acrylics, might not be a problem if you paint the paper with oils).
    I use cigarette papers for this because it's the thinnest paper I know of.

Einion