1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Lawrence of Arabia..1/12 Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by spinnerguy, Apr 22, 2018.

1. spinnerguy Active Member

England
    This is my next attempt at a smaller bust,from Fer range. No assembly,just drilling and pegging to the base.The guy certainly had a gaunt look in real life. The complication in painting is the striping on the body robe,if I stick to the boxart.Also many folds to show on the head dress fabric.....
    Face completed.......
    [IMG][IMG]
  2. Graham A Fixture

England
    Had my eye on this one so interested to see what you make of him:happy:
  3. spinnerguy Active Member

England
    I know this bust has been shown completed on here before.The robes are the challenge alright,plus the Ceremonial dagger -evidently valued at £78,000 when purchased by the Army.......... o_O[IMG]
  4. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
  5. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Nice start. It certainly is a beautiful bust and a good likeness of TE Lawrence.
  6. spinnerguy Active Member

England
    Thank you all for your interest :D . Some progress made on the head dress (keffiyah).........

[IMG][IMG]
  7. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    coming on nicely
  8. spinnerguy Active Member

England
    Head dress completed,some start made on the robe. Not sure about blacklining the stripes,as per the boxart.....
    [IMG]
    phil_h likes this.
  9. Graham A Fixture

England
    I feel your pain, Black lining is a nightmare for me, I just cannot do it neatly.
  10. Kevtk135 Active Member

Excellent job so far!
  11. spinnerguy Active Member

England
    Happy to deal with most effects,but the blacklining is a nuts ache..........must have been photoshopped on the boxart!
    Decided to use an ultra fine point black marker pen,as the flow with a brush is nigh-on impossible to maintain. Pics below- maybe the Arabs can't sew in straight lines.......[IMG][IMG]
    phil_h, Kevtk135 and Graham like this.
  12. misfit151 A Fixture

Hi Just from a personal point of view I use thinned sepia oil paint to map out lines....you can correct and adjust with a just moist, nice tipped brush...keep working at it until it is pleasing to your eye .... You can create a subtle but noticeable line...once dry you can go over again if required.
    All the best ..Mike...;)
  13. spinnerguy Active Member

England
    Well, bust painting completed,just need to paint the mount.This has been the most challenging bit of painting I have done,since starting these busts.
    Robe stripes have been tidyed up by brush,pics could be better,but what do you think.......
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]
    Old Pete likes this.
  14. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    It looks good to me. A trick I picked up years ago is when trying to paint lines like that is to only worry about one side of the line is clean and straight. If you try to make the "straight" side the side towards the light or highlight when you come to clean up the "rough" side with your material colour if it is slightly darker it blends in with the shadow. Hope that makes sense.
  15. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Great job on a challenging subject.