1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

La Dernière Charge, Le Hussard 1815

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by HeroesVillains Miniatures, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice, this will go into my grey army.
    anstontyke likes this.
  2. SUPER ANTO Well-Known Member

Spain
    Very nice paint work by Jose Hernandez!!!!!!!!
    :) :) :)
    Tonton, anstontyke and Viking Bob like this.
  3. misfit151 A Fixture

Excellent figure...right up my straase....;)...Mike
    anstontyke and Viking Bob like this.
  4. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    I don't know. Without arms it's hard to depict a "charge" and there have been recent busts that capture that dynamic. Figure looks like he's just spotted a flock of birds overhead. Fine sculpting such as it is but doesn't grab my attention (or wallet).
    Tecumsea and Old johnny like this.
  5. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Actually I like the slightly tattered look in some of the paintwork but otw hemdoes seem to be watching for birds. Part of a fully successful effort is capturing a mood or sensibility..conveying a sense of time and place..can’t say this quite hits it
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very well done.(y)
    anstontyke and Viking Bob like this.
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Busts are getting smaller and smaller to the extent that some of them depict nothing but a face and a bit of brading-OK if you like painting faces. I think some represent much better value.

Not criticising the sculpting or painting just that it is not representative of anything significant and Hussars like this are two a penny.

Keith
    Redcap likes this.
  8. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

That’s how Napoleon treated them as well Keith!
    akaryu, Redcap and Tecumsea like this.
  9. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb sculpting by Antonio and a lovely Bogart from Jose.

Congrats all round

Stuart
    Viking Bob likes this.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I want one.

Marc
  11. Bournouna Active Member

United-States
    "Busts are getting smaller and smaller to the extent that some of them depict nothing but a face and a bit of brading"

This has been said so many times before, but it does not seem that the sculptors are listening. Beautiful figure none the less.
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Perhaps producers/sculptors are listening and this is what sells. A few people moaning on the internet isn't an accurate gauge of what people are buying and it's not like there aren't many other Napoleonic French Hussar busts to choose from.
    Although I'm not a prolific bust painter myself I prefer these type of busts to the ones in action poses.

Well done H&V, I like it. :)
    tomifune likes this.
  13. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

“Moaning”? Surely critique is allowed...you make a valid point in terms of the head shot..but don’t slag everyone who tries to offer constructive comment that’s not just endless high fives..otherwise there is no progress, everything tends to the mundane mediocre..respect the quality of those making those moans..
  14. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

One thought in terms of animation..perhaps price point has a role..the more complicated, animated work ..the stuff that’s nearly a diorama on a stick..often costs more..and the head shots are usually more accessible ..maybe less time to complete, or suited to working on a few at a time..or simply work better as a grouping..say Napoleons Marshalls..the most complicated likely involve 3d printing..old school, new school..whatever..may be no more than personal taste

I’d say the basis for discussion is the title vs the effect..if it conveys what the viewer takes to mean by last charge..then it works...with historical subjects we each have some prior notion or expectation, further cued by the title..for me, it’s wonderfully executed but not quite matching the title
    Tecumsea likes this.
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    That's a bit ironic being pulled up for giving constructive criticism of someone elses not very constructive criticism.
    Of course critique is allowed, I never said it wasn't however "This has been said so many times before" isn't a constructive comment, who has said it and why?
    As for sculptors not listening I don't think that is the case otherwise why are there so many half figures in action poses being produced? Surely it's understandable that some people like to paint a head and shoulders bust without arms and pelisses flailing everywhere?
    I assure you I aren't slagging anyone and if it sounds like it that it isn't my intention, just expressing my opinion without any high fives.
    housecarl, Old johnny and valiant like this.
  16. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Cool..no harm no foul..I think one problem with e mail, social media: very easy to get the wrong impression or come cross the wrong way. When around a table with coffee or a drink things are different. We are all in it for the fun and not to assign right or wrong, but rather to maybe advance the hobby, get a bit more skilled, and recognize the true masters of their craft.
    billyturnip likes this.
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    (y) Agreed.

Anything I have to say on here can be taken in that context.... and believe me nothing on this planet gives me more pleasure than sitting at a table with drink. :LOL:
    Wayneb likes this.
  18. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    S.O.B........................and I thought I was the only one......:unsure:.....:LOL:

Wayne
    Old johnny and billyturnip like this.
  19. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

We most certainly agree on that! Have a good one guys...virtual beers all round
    billyturnip and housecarl like this.