1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Knight of the Holy Sepulchre

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Just started working on this great 54mm piece from Pegaso. I haven't made a lot of progress, the assembly took a while (stupid horse) so in my one day of painting I've focused on the face. Gotta start somewhere. All painting is done in acrylics, as always. Thanks for taking a look. Be sure to check back for future updates.
    [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
  2. swralph A Fixture

looking good
  3. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A great start looking forward to seeing it develop ,I admire anyone who can paint that small scale lol ....any way were are my glasses lol
    Cheers Chris
  4. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Gonna follow this one...
  5. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Great start! Will follow closely!
    Recently I worked my version and I had a lot of fun doing it. Mentioning the horse is only the beginning. Have fun!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  6. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks all! I've started working on some of the metallics. I've focused more on the body, still not 100% happy with the helmet. I decided to place the knight on the horse and slid the banner into place just to see how everything was looking. Also helped to double check the orientation of the rider for the highlights and shadows.

[IMG] [IMG]

And I did some more minor tweaks to the face, mostly fixing the nose.
    [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
  7. swralph A Fixture

looking ok to me(y)
  8. Helm A Fixture

England
    Hard to believe this is a a 54mm with such a detailed face nice one
    Steve
  9. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Steve and Swralph.

Just a quick update. I've started working on the whites. For this I'm using Reaper's Bone Shadow, Weathered Stone, and Leather White. There's a bit of Blackened Brown in some of the deepest shadows, but it is used very sparingly. So far I've avoided any pure white, I don't want the cloth to be too bright. But I will probably add a little later on to pick out some of the top highlights. I'd like to go back and add some pattern work on the cape and clothing, but one step at a time.

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Face looks good to me.
    I like the metall work so far.

marc
  11. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    really fantastic work sir. This figure always looks great painted up in a high level like this.
  12. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    So, you decided to go without the nose guard! Cool! The whole face opens in this way!
    Looks very good, so far! Following with great interest!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  13. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Marc, Milosh, and Zeno.

Zeno, yeah the kit's nose guard covers up so much of the face, it's really a shame since the sculpt is so good. I was debating between no nose guard or creating a smaller version. I tried filing the kit's nose guard down to about half the size and it looked pretty decent. Of course I then managed to drop it someplace in the carpet and couldn't find it again... so decision made, no nose guard! ;)
  14. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Of course I then managed to drop it someplace in the carpet and couldn't find it again... so decision made, no nose guard! ;)

LOL, the classic 1st Law of Figure Modelling......regardless the piece, it will immediately shrink to 25% of its original size and adopt the colour of the flooring....never to be found again:cool:
  15. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    LOL, the CARPET MONSTER got it! I'm feeding my monster too. :LOL:
    Cheers and following closely.
    Zeno
  16. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great metallics on the armour. What did you use?

- Steve
  17. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Steve. For the scale armor I began with a dark bronze (Reaper's old bronze, but any dark bronze should work) and mixed in black to take away some of the gloss. In areas like the back where it would be shaded by the cape or under the arm I wanted it very dull so I used a lot of black in the mix. I those areas I highlighted the edges with pure bronze and left it at that. Elsewhere I used bronze and then started to mix in some Vallejo Model Air Gold. It's a weird shade of gold, but works well for a highlight color. In a few spots I also did just a little bit of Model Air silver for some extra highlights. I also applied some black washes to increase the shadows.

For the helmet I used several of the Model Air metallics, Silver, Steel, and I believe Gungrey. I also used black, both mixing it with the gungrey and using it along as a glaze/wash.

I'm still experimenting with metals, I've yet to find a method that I'm completely happy with but I do like how the scale armor turned out on this guy. I like the Vallejo Model Air metals as I think they are smooth and flow nicely, they just don't have great colors for metals like gold or bronze. As I said, their gold is a weird shade, good for highlights but I would not use it as a base for anything gold.
  18. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    This is looking sharp! Can't wait to seeing him done!

Joe
  19. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Been busy with the holidays, but I manged to do a little work on the knight...
    [IMG]

Lately my main focus has been the banner. I wanted to do something a little more than just the cross on the white background. So I worked in a subtle pattern to the white. What do you all think of it? I'd like to get some feedback before I go any further. I still need to do some clean up plus some highlight and shading work, but you get the idea.

[IMG]
  20. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

I really dig that pattern you have worked in, great idea to break up the white background. Nice touch.
    davidmitchell likes this.