1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Knight of the Holy Sepulchre Part 2

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Since I'm returning to a project I started a while ago (back in 2013), I thought I'd begin a new thread for it. I've run into quite a few roadblocks with the painting, but since it's one of my favorite sculpts I've refused to give up on it. Just took some long breaks until I felt ready to try again. For those not familiar with the sculpt, this is a 54mm figure from Pegaso.

What's caused me the most trouble has been the horse. Since the knight is mostly white, I thought a black horse would be a nice contrast. Unfortunately black is one of those colors I'm not super comfortable painting. A few recent projects have helped give me a bit more experience so I thought I'd give it another try. I decided to go with a blue-black (maybe not super realistic, but I like the look). I've got a whole process for the black and this is just the first step, though it's also the longest. I start by laying down the basic highlights and shadows. After that I'll go back in and fix any sections with bad blends or highlights/shadows that aren't quite right. Then I'll take some glazes of pure black and dark blue and coat the figure. This will help with the blends and tie everything together. The black glazes can be focused in the shadows to help darken them. The glazes tend to darken the highlights, so the final step is to go back and replace some of those bright spots. I'm still on the first step, waiting to finish off those last few sections before I move on. There's a lot of space to cover, so that's why I break it down into sections.

For the blue-black I'm using Pure Black, Abyssal Blue (Scale75), and Fair Highlight (Reaper). I actually started with Pure Black and then mixed in a bit of Teal before switching to the skin tone, but after I'd done the left side of the head/neck I switched to Abyssal Blue instead. It's a similar shade to black + a little teal, and it's much easier to remain consistent between the different sections. For the highlights I like to mix in some lighter skin tones instead of white. There's a little more depth to the color.

HS34.jpg HS35.jpg HS36.jpg

The knight is mostly finished, just a few details and his shield and banner left. When I finish the horse I'll secure the rider and wrap him up. The horse's equipment will be mostly the same color as the cloth around the knights waist.

Oh, and here's a quick look at the banner. I'm only finished this one side, but the other half will be the same pattern.
    HS33.jpg
    Babelfish, marco55, Krest063 and 25 others like this.
  2. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Just lovely! I'll be watching!

Joe
  3. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Unusual colors for the horse, but it does set it off from the rider. I am beginning to like it more, the more I look at it. I will follow this one with interest. Is the design on the bottom of the cloak engraved by Pegaso or is drawn on by yourself?
  4. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very cool piece looking forward to more .
  5. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Joe, clrsgt, and samson.

Yeah, a brown-black is probably a more typical way to go for a horse. I'd still use a skintone to highlight, but just swap about the abyssal blue for a very dark brown. However, I saw a blue-black horse on the cover of the Scale Model Handbook - Figure Modelling 2 (Pegaso's Roaming Knight) and really wanted to try it. I like it, but I'm sure some people won't. Just trying something new! =)

I put the design on the cape. I plan to continue it up the side too. It's a lot of white space so I wanted to put something there. From a historical standpoint it would just be a white cape. But I don't think some kind of border embellishment is beyond possibility.
  6. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Masterful paint work going on there. We are indebted to you for sharing this with the forum!
  7. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A very striking paint scheme - minimal but somehow lots of interest too with the metals and your patterns etc. this is going to be really fantastic when done. Following.
    Cheers
    Mat
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Another outstanding work! I don't see how anyone could complain about the horse. I think it looks amazing!

Following as usual

Colin
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work.

marc
  10. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very,Very nice in deed looking forward to seeing him finished.

Ian
  11. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Very nice work. Following with interest.
  12. Marco22 A Fixture

France
    I like the freehand !
  13. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    So glad you haven't given up on this one. When it's done, which it will be (someday!) You'll probably find this one of the most satisfying things you've done. Thanks for sharing with us.
  14. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Whooaaa, I do like this one, beautiful rendition, period! From the horse to the sash and shinning armor, wow.

Cheers, Ski.
  15. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, everyone. It's such a great sculpt it makes it really fun to work on (even if the painting gets very frustrating at times). Blind Pew, hopefully I've taken my last break and will be able to wrap this figure up in the next few weeks. I'm going to a show/competition in March and I'd really like to enter this one. This guy has waited long enough. Time to finish him!

I've done more of the horse. For the black I just have the tail and hooves to do, then touch ups on the rest of the body. I took a break from all the black and started on the horses equipment. I went with the same color as the sash around the knight's waist and the cross on the banner. Still lots to do, but he's getting there.
    HS37.jpg HS38.jpg HS39.jpg HS40.jpg HS41.jpg
    frank h, Krest063, Eludia and 10 others like this.
  16. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great job I am liking this a lot.
  17. Ferris A Fixture

Great painting Bailey! It's coming together very nicely. I'm sure it will do great in that show.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks amazing Bailey!
    Maybe a quick rundown on how you came up with the purple shade on the sash and horse furniture? Maybe?:shy:

Colin
  19. Bailey A Fixture

United-States

Thanks, Samson, Adrian, and Colin. For the sash and horse furniture I used a deep purple for the shadows (Burgundy Wine), then did a mix of grey and red for the midtone and highlights. I used Violet Red and Stormy Grey (50/50 or 60/40) and then Pale Violet and Misty Grey (same ratio). Below are those Reaper color, however in person the Violet Red and Pale Violet are more red than they look below.
    [IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]

I grabbed this image from my ADC project. Here you can see the Violet Red (over a white primer) around his waist and on his pants. The image above makes it appear much more purple.
    [IMG]
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks for the mixes Bailey

Colin