1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Kingdom of Bayern (Bavaria).

Discussion in 'German Empire' started by Dan Morton, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Photos of the soldiers, weapons and equipment of the Kingdom of Bayern 1914 - 1918.

Attached Files:

2. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    More photos...

Attached Files:

3. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    That's the Kingdom, of Bayern, thank you very much, not a province.

Prost!
    Brad
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Oops - an unintended offense, Brad. It doesn't appear I can edit it at this point. I will ask the moderators to fix it.

All the best,
    Dan
    theBaron likes this.
  5. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Great character studies Dan. Whenever I'm in Bavaria I always visit the little memorial chapels where the relatives of fallen and lost serviceman and women hang little enameled photos of their loved ones.
    I always end up really emotional just like I do when I go to the death camps.
    What waste.
    theBaron and housecarl like this.
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    As an Ehrenbayer, I was duty-bound to offer a correction. I've since had a Hefeweizen and settled down :)

Seriously, though, thanks for posting all of these images, they're great references! I have a couple of Visitenkarten and cabinet photos, too, picked up in auctions here and there. They're very useful.

Prost!
    Brad
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    All corrections happily accepted!

All the best,
    Dan
  8. KMB New Member

A few of them aren't Bavarian but nice little photo album!
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Would you identify them? That way I can remove them.

All the best,

Dan
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Saxon Jaeger.

Gebirgsjaeger.jpg
    theBaron likes this.
  11. KMB New Member

He is Württembergisches Gebirgs trupp, not Bavarian.

Attached Files:

12. KMB New Member

Bavaria didn't have Garde units, only Leib unit. But this soldat is from a Matrosen regiment, which they didn't go by states, they were Reich soldiers, so they wouldn't wear any state cockades, only the Reich cockade on the cap

Attached Files:

13. KMB New Member

He isn't a Officer, just a basic EM, ;)

Attached Files:

14. KMB New Member

Bavaria did have Gebirgs units, but they didn't wear the M1914 Litewka. Only Württemberg Gebirgs truppen and troops from 3rd Jäger Rgt (This was basicly a ski regiment. There were only 4 Btls in the regiment which were ski Btls. 1stBtl was Bavarian, 2nd Btl was Baden, 3rd Btl was Prussian and 4th Btl was Bavarian). Since these 2 types of soldiers wore the same uniform, they had to have a way to tell the differences. The Württembergers decided to put Jägergrün piping where the sleeves are sewn to the uniform and color patches in the same color. 3rd Jäger Rgt Litewken didn't have the green piping where the sleeve are connected to the uniform nor the green patches. They just had 2 S patched on each side of the collar for Schneeschuh (Skier) I included a photo of a Bavarian Skier from 3rd Jäger Rgt. It was taken in 1916, how I know?In 1916, the Feldmütze for ranks below NCO and Schirmmütze If you were a rank of NCO or above was to replace the M1914 Bergmütze. The M1914 Bergmütze was the German version of the Austrian Feldkappe. The differences from that and the Austrian Kappe was, the German model was round and had a flat top. The Austrian Kappe was narrow and the front raised up kind of like a M43 cap. There were 2 types of M1914 Bergmütze, the Württemberg model and the model all other Gebirgs and Schneeschuh used. The Württemberg model was only used by Württemberg Gebirgs truppen. The model all other Gebirgs and Schneeschuh truppen (Prussian, Baden and Bavarian Gebirgs and Schneeschuh truppen ) had a grey vulcan fiber visor. There were only a handfull of piping you will find on these since only a few types of troops used them in the Alpenkorps. Black for Gebirgs Minenwerfer. Red for Gebirgs Artillery and Württ Gebirgs Artillerie. Green for Skier, Württ Gebirgs Schützen, Württ Gebirgs Schneeshuh, Gebirgs Machinengewehr and Württ Gebirgs Machinengewehr.

3.jpg is the Bavarian Skier

1 c.jpg is a original Württemberg Bergmütze

2 c.jpg is the Bergmütze used by all other Gebirgs and Schneeschuh truppen (the one in the photo is for Bavarian Gebirgs Artillerie)

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      28 KB
      Views:
    • 1 c.jpg
      1 c.jpg
      File size:
      245.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2 c.jpg
      2 c.jpg
      File size:
      216.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      28 KB
      Views:
    • 1 c.jpg
      1 c.jpg
      File size:
      245.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2 c.jpg
      2 c.jpg
      File size:
      216.9 KB
      Views:
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Great information, thanks for posting it.

I thought matrosen regiment personnel wore shako not a picklehaube, so again very interesting. Have you anymore information on that?
  16. KMB New Member

They were issued a mix of headgear and alot of them privately purchased headgear. Private purchased headgear was big then.