1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed "Khukri, spice and all things nice" - Ghurka Infantry

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Gaudin, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    WW2 Ghurka Infantry - Better to die than to live a coward!
    Bust 200mm - Sculpey, magic sculpt, green stuff.

Special thanks to Kevin Peart for help with research, Andy Cairns for technical advice and to Lorenzo Nino Lorenzoni for inspiration to push on sculpting:)

I hope you like it.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg received_1698854626999548.jpeg received_1698855073666170.jpeg received_1698855786999432.jpeg
    Grod, captnenglish, marco55 and 14 others like this.
  2. mick3272 A Fixture

Looks very nice. I think it will come up smashing when painted.
    Mick
    Gaudin likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi D,

Looks good my friend pleasure to help ..looking forward to seeing it painted up

For those that might wonder the wrist band was a method seen to display the rank badge

Nap
    Gaudin likes this.
  4. Mark S Guest

Beautiful piece Dimitry....not only a great example of an oft ignored subject matter but also a very dynamic bust.
    The energy in this piece is beautifully executed....well done mate.
    Gaudin and napoleonpeart like this.
  5. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautifully posed - are you offering a slouch hat as well?

Mike
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    D,

Forgot to ask is this a one off are castings being done or is it commercial ?

Nap
    Gaudin likes this.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    very nice sculpt.

marc
    Gaudin likes this.
  8. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  9. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nicely done. Lots of action and energy! Think this one will paint up nicely. Thanks for Sharing!

Terry Martin-Member of the Atlanta Miniature Figure Society
  10. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Always been fascinated with these guys since I was a kid and you really have brought this one to life. I have the 2 La Meridiana 1/35 figs they did and could never seem to get the green satisfactory on their uniforms.

Bob
    Gaudin likes this.
  11. mick3272 A Fixture

Would be nice if this was a commercial Bust it may kick start some more Indian Army figures/ busts.
    Although Jonny Ghurka was technically part of the British Army, was not until Indian independence did the Indian Army take control of five Regiments of Ghurka's

Mick
    housecarl and Gaudin like this.
  12. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Not my period but a superb face, full of character. Good ole Jonny Ghurka in a classic action pose.
    Gaudin likes this.
  13. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oh Wow!

I would buy one of those in a heartbeat !

Brilliant.

Paul.
    Gaudin likes this.
  14. Helm A Fixture

England
    I really like it all , except for the face, I can't place what it is but it's not a Ghurka face somehow. If that got altered it would be perfect and a fitting tribute to them, as said not enough of them about.
    Steve

[IMG] [IMG]
    mick3272, Gaudin and valiant like this.
  15. Huw63 A Fixture

Wonderful. Typifies those incredible warriors.

Cheers

Huw
    Gaudin likes this.
  16. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you, guys, I am glad you like it.
    Indeed, the these guys are undeservedly under-represented in miniature. I must mention a lovely Gurkha Engineer bust in parade uniform by Ken Farrar in 2010, but otherwise I don't know of any.

It was considered, unfortunately helmet straps are very different and the way hat strap affects facial tissues it would mean two different heads. May be a later conversion option?

It started as a spontaneous project after I met a blacksmith with an astounding collection of Khukris. As always - made with casting in mind and available.

Thank you, Steve, you might be right, its hard to say. I have looked at many many pictures and chose this guy as a prototype, although I didn't stick rigidly to making his portrait. The target for me was to achieve a battle crazed amok expression. It may be possible to alter if producer would like to do so, but I worry "better" can be an enemy of "good" ;)

Attached Files:

Viking Bob and napoleonpeart like this.
  17. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great subject, full of action.
    Gordon
  18. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

Gaudin

please put me down for one.
  19. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Nice one Dimitry! Just not sure about the shoulder-elbow-position when delivering a blow with the kukri. I think that the arm / elbow swings a tad more to the outside.
    Different styles of kukri and faces....:)
    GURKHA1.jpg

Cheers, Martin
  20. Nap Moderator

England

Not commercial as yet Adrian but I am sure Dimitry would let it go to a company .

Certainly be nice to see how it looks cast up

Nap