1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Karl XII of Sweden

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Oct 26, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Idea and pictoral references I was hesitant to post anything regarding this project seeing that I still have the Highlander vignette and other projects yet to be completed. The project is still in the initial stages so aside from a "sketch" of the bust in sculpey and gathering references not much in the way of time has been taken away from what I'm doing now.

The idea was inspired by Mike Blanks 54mm portrait of Karl in addition to his Great Northern War pieces. I even contacted Mike in regards to this project and he sent me some valuable information that will be of help.

I managed to find several portraits of Karl and by comparing them for similiarities in the way the face is structured.

This was a project that I had planned on doing well over a year and felt a little guilty for not doing it sooner as Mike did take the time to send me some materials.

Attached Files:

2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is another page of reference pictures.

I also managed to find facial pictures taken of Karl's corpse in 1917 that will be used in reconstructing his facial features.

Attached Files:

3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Sculpey "sketch" Here are some pictures of the composition as planned. He will be shown wearing a cuirass with a buff/yellow waistcoat and blue coat over top. Karl also has an interesting hairstyle as he has quite a receeding hairline. The "sketch" has since been dismantled and the armature has been set aside pending completion of the Highlanders.

Attached Files:

4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view.

Attached Files:

5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Profile. The "sketch" is not a very detailed study, and was mainly done to give me an idea as to how the complete bust would look. I hope to do the best likeness possible with the information at hand.

Attached Files:

6. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary

excellent introduction, and very impressed with your 'sketch'! Many of us would be happy with that! It certainly has the feel of the man and I look forward to seeing this develop!

:)
  7. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gary!

Great to see that you have decided to take the plunge and get ready to start this project. I know you told me about it a long time ago, and I am definately looking forward to see the finished piece.

Your sketch is most impressive as well, if that is a sample or a simple sketch of what is to come I am sure we all have a treat comming!
  8. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Yes, busts...more busts...!
  9. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Gary, very impressive, looking forward to this new project .

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Roc :)
  10. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very interesting subject that will be dealt with in you more then capable hands. Dare I ask will it be a commercial piece or a one off? BTW your "sketch" is better than anything I've sculpted in the 20+ years of painting little men.
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Thanks for the kind words. My main objective is to reconstuct Karl's features as close as I can to the references I'm using. In short it's fairly plain which suits my purpose. I will not begin actual sculpting for a while, but will post an sbs once it begins.

The piece is not currently being sculpted with commercial production in mind, although I would like to try and get a few castings made if possible. I just do not see the subject as being something a manufacturer would want or many folks would be interested in. Only time will tell.~Gary
  12. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Awesome Gary! A very good likeness.

Will you be doing the final version in Sculpey too?
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Thanks. Yes, the head will be done sculpey and the cuirass/ clothing might be done in AVES putty, I have not decided yet.~Gary
  14. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gary,

Really nice. I think you have found what you were looking for in this one. ;)

Joe
  15. callum Member

Nice sketch :lol:
  16. Patrick Kirk New Member

Gary,
    You never cease to amaze me...phenominal! Simply awesome...
    Thanks for sharing; can't wait to see how the cuirass comes along...
    All the best my friend

Patrick
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Callum, Thanks.

Patrick, Thanks. The cuirass will be fun as I've never done armor before.~Gary
  18. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Nice choice of subject, Gary!

Id be interested in a bust of Calle dussin(Charlie dozen) if it comes out as good as the first shot promises. :)

Let me know if you have some troubles regarding references and Ill see what I can do.
  19. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Just notice that the heading of the thread says "Karl II". But I assume that it is a typo made in haste as it is Karl XII.
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Janne, You're right it is a typo, one that I do not think can be fixed. Thanks for the offer of references. I'll call on you if I need them.~Gary